Keg Cleaning

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Keg Cleaning

Post by Gymrat »

Inkleg wrote:My cleaner and jumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built one of those some time back. I love it.

Why did it not let me post this until I deleted the picture? I got a red stripe that said I cannot use certain BBCodes: [img].
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Gymrat wrote:
Inkleg wrote:My cleaner and jumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I built one of those some time back. I love it.

Why did it not let me post this until I deleted the picture? I got a red stripe that said I cannot use certain BBCodes: [img].
I had that happen to me, too!

Apparently instead of IMG, we have to use IMAGE? Doing that worked for me, anyway.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I don't disassemble my kegs every time either. I do it once or twice a year, but I do wash my kegs out as soon as they kick.

Standard practice for me:
- Run hot water in keg and slosh around a few times to get the trub off the keg. Wipe down with a wet papertowel after dumping water a few times.
Then, add some PBW and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then invert with the lid on for 30 minutes. About 5 minutes into the soak I push some through my keg line.
- Rinse multiple times with hot water, also flushing the keg line
- Fill with some StarSan and slosh around, pushing a bit through the line as well, but leaving just enough in the keg beforehand so I 'blow' the keg with StarSan so nothing stays sitting in the line

The keg is now sanitized and pressurized, ready to be put away.
The line has been cleaned and sanitized and is now awaiting a new keg to be attached.

If I have one ready to jump in, which isn't often, I would forgo the cleaning of the line and just hook up the new keg. I'd only do this 2-3 times before wanting to clean the line, though.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that does it the way I do. Just a thing to throw out there though, Make sure that you have stainless dip tubes and not aluminum. PBW eats aluminum. I learned that with my first 7 gallon aluminum pot. I left PBW in it over night and it pitted badly.