ipa

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

ipa

Post by Gman20 »

Hey guys i wanna do an ipa next but without alot of bitteness and a big orangey grapefruit flavor

Any suggestions for kind of hops to use
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: ipa

Post by FrozenInTime »

I did up an IPA with Falconeers Flight couple times, first wort hop, comes out smooth but like a mouthful of grapefruit to me.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Cascade, Amarillo and Simcoe will all give you some citrusy flavor/aroma. So will Citra. As for the bitterness....it all depends on the timing of the hop addition. Just add your hops at 20 minutes or less, with some steeping additions and dry hop additions. You'll get the big flavor and aroma without a heavy perceived bitterness.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

You can look at the recipe in the Advanced Recipes section called "Fresh Squeezed IPA" for a great recipe.
I find this to be easy on the bitterness with great Citra and Mosaic flavor and aroma.
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

Gman20 wrote:Hey guys i wanna do an ipa next but without alot of bitteness and a big orangey grapefruit flavor

I think Centennial is more of an orangey citrus. But Falconer's Flight is a well rounded citrus, that I think has a less harsh bite to it.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

BlackDuck wrote:....it all depends on the timing of the hop addition. Just add your hops at 20 minutes or less...
Oh yeah, all hopburst additions will give you enough bitterness with all the flavor!
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Citra!!! I will add that if you do a bittering addition, I recommend doing it as First Wort addition. It smooths the bitterness and also imparts some flavor because the hops get thrown into the wort while it's hot but not boiling. Then just add the rest of your hops below the 30-minute mark. Doing a hop stand after flameout (for 5 or 10 mins) will bring out a little flavor as well, the way a FWH will, but also bring out tons of aroma. Top it off with a dry hop and you're golden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Gman20 wrote:Hey guys i wanna do an ipa next but without alot of bitteness and a big orangey grapefruit flavor

So...did you brew anything?
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

The East Coast style used to be malty IPAs that were a little more subdued, with the West Coast style being the hop bombs like Pliny. The newer East Coast style, though, has a very subdued malt backbone with a focus on hop flavors and aromas without a lot of bitterness. Very juicy (and usually cloudy). That's what you are describing IMHO. It's become my go-to IPA style. Commercial examples that I love are Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, Tree House, Trillium, and Maine. I brewed a Lawson's clone recently that is very much to this style. Here's the recipe I went with, which is a Lawson's Double Sunshine recipe straight from Sean Lawson:

Lawson’s Double Sunshine IPA Recipe

ALL-GRAIN

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.013
IBUs: 100+
ABV: 8%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.5 lb (3.85 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
12 oz (340 g) Carapilsen malt
2.5 lb (1.1 kg) Vienna-style malt
1 lb (454 g) flaked oats
6 oz (170 g) Caramunich-type malt

HOPS & ADDITIONS SCHEDULE
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus [14% AAU] at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 20 minutes
1 lb (454 g) corn sugar at 10 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 5 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at knockout
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at dry hop

YEAST
Fermentis Safale US-05, Lallemand BRY-097, Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)

DIRECTIONS
Single infusion mash: Achieve a target mash of 152°F (67°C). Hold for 45 minutes, then raise to mash-out temperature and begin lauter phase.

Collect enough wort to boil 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) and boil for 60 minutes, following the hops and additions schedule. After the boil is complete, begin a whirlpool in the kettle and let the knockout hops rest in the hot wort for at least 30 minutes before chilling.

Chill the wort rapidly to 68°F (20°C). Ferment at 68°F (20°C) for one week. Cool to 55°F (13°C) to settle the yeast. Dump the yeast from the bottom of the fermentor or rack to a clean, sanitized vessel. Add the dry hops and let the beer sit for an additional four to seven days at 55–57°F (13°C).

EXTRACT VERSION
Replace the 2-row and Carapilsen malts with 6 pounds (2.7 kg) of light liquid malt extract. Mix the crushed Vienna-style malt, flaked oats, and Caramunich-type malt into 2 gallons (7.6 liters) of water to achieve a temperature of 152°F (67°C). Hold at this temperature for 45 minutes.

Rinse the grains with 2.5 quarts (2.6 liters) of hot water, add the liquid extract, and bring to boil. Top off the kettle to 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters). Boil for 60 minutes, following the hops schedule and adding 1.5 lb (680 g) of corn sugar with 10 minutes left in the boil. Continue as directed above.
I will note that Citra is very much the citrus bomb you are looking for, but it's pretty expensive these days. The recipe above cost us over $50, and the Citra alone cost $29. Fortunately I wasn't paying for this one... ;)
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

To avoid the bitter finish I never add any hops at all until the last 15 minutes of the boil. For an orange flavor the combination of Simcoe and Amarillo really seem to provide that. I don't know which hop is doing the orange though.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

swenocha wrote:The East Coast style used to be malty IPAs that were a little more subdued, with the West Coast style being the hop bombs like Pliny. The newer East Coast style, though, has a very subdued malt backbone with a focus on hop flavors and aromas without a lot of bitterness. Very juicy (and usually cloudy). That's what you are describing IMHO. It's become my go-to IPA style. Commercial examples that I love are Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, Tree House, Trillium, and Maine. I brewed a Lawson's clone recently that is very much to this style. Here's the recipe I went with, which is a Lawson's Double Sunshine recipe straight from Sean Lawson:

Lawson’s Double Sunshine IPA Recipe

ALL-GRAIN

Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.013
IBUs: 100+
ABV: 8%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.5 lb (3.85 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
12 oz (340 g) Carapilsen malt
2.5 lb (1.1 kg) Vienna-style malt
1 lb (454 g) flaked oats
6 oz (170 g) Caramunich-type malt

HOPS & ADDITIONS SCHEDULE
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus [14% AAU] at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 20 minutes
1 lb (454 g) corn sugar at 10 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at 5 minutes
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at knockout
3 oz (85 g) Citra [12.5% AAU] at dry hop

YEAST
Fermentis Safale US-05, Lallemand BRY-097, Wyeast 1056 (American Ale), or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)

DIRECTIONS
Single infusion mash: Achieve a target mash of 152°F (67°C). Hold for 45 minutes, then raise to mash-out temperature and begin lauter phase.

Collect enough wort to boil 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters) and boil for 60 minutes, following the hops and additions schedule. After the boil is complete, begin a whirlpool in the kettle and let the knockout hops rest in the hot wort for at least 30 minutes before chilling.

Chill the wort rapidly to 68°F (20°C). Ferment at 68°F (20°C) for one week. Cool to 55°F (13°C) to settle the yeast. Dump the yeast from the bottom of the fermentor or rack to a clean, sanitized vessel. Add the dry hops and let the beer sit for an additional four to seven days at 55–57°F (13°C).

EXTRACT VERSION
Replace the 2-row and Carapilsen malts with 6 pounds (2.7 kg) of light liquid malt extract. Mix the crushed Vienna-style malt, flaked oats, and Caramunich-type malt into 2 gallons (7.6 liters) of water to achieve a temperature of 152°F (67°C). Hold at this temperature for 45 minutes.

Rinse the grains with 2.5 quarts (2.6 liters) of hot water, add the liquid extract, and bring to boil. Top off the kettle to 6.5 gallons (24.6 liters). Boil for 60 minutes, following the hops schedule and adding 1.5 lb (680 g) of corn sugar with 10 minutes left in the boil. Continue as directed above.
I will note that Citra is very much the citrus bomb you are looking for, but it's pretty expensive these days. The recipe above cost us over $50, and the Citra alone cost $29. Fortunately I wasn't paying for this one... ;)
This recipe sounds like it's right up my alley, other than the super cloudy appearance. But it does have a really nice and velvety mouthfeel that's not quite chewy like a stout, so I can deal with it. Ten ounces of Citra!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Gymrat wrote:To avoid the bitter finish I never add any hops at all until the last 15 minutes of the boil. For an orange flavor the combination of Simcoe and Amarillo really seem to provide that. I don't know which hop is doing the orange though.
Amarillo is likely what's giving the big orange punch. Simcoe, IMHO, brings the pine. I like the combo of those two.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, that recipe looks good. I may have to try that one!

And I agree on the Amarillo being what is bringing the orange to the party.
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

Yup i did brew up a batch...i did a lbk sized batch using a few pounds of dme a few ounces of carapils and crystal 15 and an oz. Of mosaic and citra with safale 05