Beer. Simply Beer $19.99

Share a deal or a steal you found with your BeerBorg buddies!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Beer. Simply Beer $19.99

Post by bpgreen »

I got this in an email from Midwest Supplies. These are extract or extract plus steeping grains. 60 minute boil.

click here
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Beer. Simply Beer $19.99

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Wow, that sounds great. Simple recipes and affordable too! Thanks for posting this.
And I just got a 5G brew kettle, looks like it's time to start brewing some bigger batches (I'm used to 1, 2,2.5, & 3G recipes so yes a 5G recipe is a little bigger). And it includes everything, Malt Extract, Dry Yeast, Hops, Specialty Grains, Priming Sugar, plus Brewing Instructions too. You'd think for that price the yeast or priming sugar at least would be extra..
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

19.99 is darn good pricing. If I were to buy 4 kits it reduces my shipping to less than $5 per kit. And I don't even have to get in the truck and drive.

Here's their IPA recipe and what it would cost me at my LHBS.

- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup ($20)
- 1 lb Golden Light DME ($4)
- 1 oz Columbus (60 min) ($2)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min) ($2)
- 1 oz Centennial (5 min) ($2)
- Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. ($3)
- 5 oz Priming Sugar ~($.50)

Total for me locally 33.50
Thirsting For Knowledge
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That would especially tempting for those not wanting to brew outdoors in the summer heat and need to quickly fill the pipeline.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

brewnewb wrote:19.99 is darn good pricing. If I were to buy 4 kits it reduces my shipping to less than $5 per kit. And I don't even have to get in the truck and drive.

Here's their IPA recipe and what it would cost me at my LHBS.

- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup ($20)
- 1 lb Golden Light DME ($4)
- 1 oz Columbus (60 min) ($2)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min) ($2)
- 1 oz Centennial (5 min) ($2)
- Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. ($3)
- 5 oz Priming Sugar ~($.50)

Total for me locally 33.50
That's a great price. But only 3 ounces of hops in an IPA??? For some of us around here.....no way that's an IPA. Just sayin'!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yes but they are Hoptimus Rex Premium hops! :o
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Has anyone bought/brewed any of these yet? With only a limited amount of money to spend, I'm debating on purchasing a 3 of these vs several of the discounted refills at BrewDemon & Mr. Beer.
Seems like these Simply Beer recipes would taste quite a bit better, with these ingredients being fresher and you're making it from ingredients instead of pre-hopped malt extract plus some of the discounted 2G refills are old or damaged. That being said, however I've not had any problems either with the old refills and they taste good to me.

Of course there's also the Mangrove Jacks Brewery Pouches at RiteBrew.com for $15 each but they also need a lb or 2 of DME each to make 5 or 6G.

I went ahead and placed my order with Midwest so we'll see how soon it gets here and how they turn out. :beer:
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Has anyone bought/brewed any of these yet? With only a limited amount of money to spend, I'm debating on purchasing a 3 of these vs several of the discounted refills at BrewDemon & Mr. Beer.
Seems like these Simply Beer recipes would taste quite a bit better, with these ingredients being fresher and you're making it from ingredients instead of pre-hopped malt extract plus some of the discounted 2G refills are old or damaged. That being said, however I've not had any problems either with the old refills and they taste good to me.

Of course there's also the Mangrove Jacks Brewery Pouches at RiteBrew.com for $15 each but they also need a lb or 2 of DME each to make 5 or 6G.
I think they're new, so I don't think anybody has had time to brew one yet, but somebody may have bought one.

When comparing with brew demon or Mr beer refills, keep in mind that these will take quite a bit longer, since they have a full hop boil. But I think these are likely to produce a better end result than clearance refills, since the ingredients are probably fresher.

You could also do a late extract addition for much of the extract if you can't do full volume boils. That would help with hop utilization and reduce caramelization.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You could also buy these simply for ingredients, assuming you can find ways to use the ingredients.

I know I could, even if I didn't want to make the exact beer as intended (IE the IPA that has not enough hops, I could make a nice hoppy 1.04ish pale ale out of it and still have left over LME to use for something else).
Luckycg321

Post by Luckycg321 »

I am a noobie and I purchased a BrewDemon and followed the instructions and put my first batch of Dante's delight Weizenbier in the Demon. As the days of fermenting went buy I quickly desired to do a little more when "brewing" beer. I just ordered the "Simply Beer IPA" from Midwest Supplies and I can't wait to try that one.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Luckycg321 wrote:I am a noobie and I purchased a BrewDemon and followed the instructions and put my first batch of Dante's delight Weizenbier in the Demon. As the days of fermenting went buy I quickly desired to do a little more when "brewing" beer. I just ordered the "Simply Beer IPA" from Midwest Supplies and I can't wait to try that one.
What size of Brew Demon fermenter? The "Simply Beer IPA" is a 5 gallon kit. Just thought I'd ask...
Luckycg321

Post by Luckycg321 »

The Professor...I obsess with hobbies quickly..I purchased a 6 gallon Carboy for fermentation and a glass 5 gallon Carboy for secondary fermentation.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Luckycg321 wrote:The Professor...I obsess with hobbies quickly..I purchased a 6 gallon Carboy for fermentation and a glass 5 gallon Carboy for secondary fermentation.
That's great. Good luck with the 5 gallon kit. I made extract kits for a while and wound up with some really good beer. You will too.