Passing on the good beer news to a fellow smoker

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Passing on the good beer news to a fellow smoker

Post by FedoraDave »

I have a customer who, like me, really enjoys barbecue. We've shared stories, recipes, techniques, and just enjoyed talking smoked meat over the past couple of years. I was there today, and he was raving about the smoked turkey he made (while his wife slowly nodded her head in delicious remembrance of their repast).

We started talking about our summer plans. I'm going to get myself a nice pork shoulder for Memorial Day, and make some pulled pork. He's got some friends coming up next weekend, and he definitely wants to treat them to some low-n-slow.

Think is, he mentioned how he found some Corona bottles in an old fridge the previous owners had left behind, and he used that to work on his smoked turkey. Well, naturally, I raved about how beer makes a great base for a mop sauce. I recommended he try a milk stout, which I think would be especially good with pork. A little Worcestershire, some seasonings, maybe some vinegar or cider, you get the idea. Even an oatmeal stout would work, but I think milk stout would make a sweeter base for a mop. He has no experience with beer or any kind of alcohol, so he was very glad to get my advice. I can't wait to find out what he did and how it worked.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch