Indy 500

Wisconsin | Illinois | Indiana | Michigan | Ohio

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Indy 500

Post by Crazy Climber »

I will be in Indianapolis on Memorial Day weekend for the Indy 500 in a few weeks. Flying into Louisville, actually, then driving up to Naptown.
Anyone else going to be in that area at that time?
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Indy 500

Post by MrBandGuy »

I'm always in the Louisville area, and from Indy originally. Grew up across the street from the track.

Lots of great breweries in Indy. Head towards downtown and you'll find plenty to keep yourself busy.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Thanks, MBG.
Last year, I took the Sun King brewery tour (where I snapped the photo that is my avatar).
I also visited Indiana City Brewing while they were celebrating their 1-year anniversary.
Daredevil Brewing was almost open in their beautiful large building in Speedway, but it wasn't quite done yet, which was a bummer. I peeked in the windows, drooling. :D
This year I might try to get to Flat 12, and a two-fer trip to Bier and Great Fermentations. Possibly 450 North Brewing in Columbus on my way up from Louisville - that one depends on how well my flights stay on schedule.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

You've definitely picked some winners there. If you get a chance to get out, I'd recommend Chilly Water and Fountain Square, which are close to each other on the southeast side about 5 minutes from downtown. 450 is a bit off the path, and good, but not amazing. I'd say do Against the Grain in Lousiville instead, or New Albanian (do the pizzeria) if you can.

I'd join you for a pint or three, depending on the schedule. But unfortunately, I need to head to Bowling Green, Ky that Saturday.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Thanks again for the added tips. I have had Fountain Square's IPA before at a downtown restaurant and thought it was very good. I like the idea of two breweries near each other, similar to my Sun King/Indiana City excursion last year. So I might have to give Fountain Square/Chilly Water a try.

I will keep those L'ville recommendations in mind, too. I don't know if I'll have much time there, unfortunately. Flying in on Thursday around dinner time, and have the 2-ish hour drive to the hotel in Indy. Gotta get up Friday morning to fight the traffic at Carb Day, so I might try to get to the hotel without side-excursions on Thursday evening. But if I change my mind on that, I will let you know!

Then I fly back home via Louisville, but that's Monday morning - and a holiday to boot - so that means no chance to visit brewing establishments that day.

Whereabouts in town did you grow up? On race day, I usually park in a nice little neighborhood between Crawfordsville and 16th and walk in from there.
Crazy Climber:
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I'm sure it'll be a great weekend. I grew up off 30th on the north side of the track. Close enough to remember random dudes passed out in our front yard every year or two. Parents would load up our wagon with coolers and we'd hang in the infield all day, back before it was nice! My mom used to work part time security over there too, which provided my brother and I access to pit row and stuff. Good times! I absolutely love the race. Have a good time!
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

This'll be my 41st 500, only missed one (2006) since 1975, started when I was a kid. Unfortunately, for various reasons it may be my last time attending, at least in this nearly-unbroken string. I hope to get back someday, but for now, I guess the 100th running is a good one to "put a bow on it."
Having access to the pits/garage must've been really cool. I had a day in Indy during practice about a decade ago - watched practice from various vantage points, and then played a round of golf at Brickyard Crossing. That was a special day for me.
Back in '77, we had to park at a small shopping center at 38th and Georgetown and hoof it in over 2 miles to our seats, and it was crazy-hot. Didn't make that mistake again! That was the day AJ became the first 4-time winner. Memories...
Crazy Climber:
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

That's an amazing streak! The first one I remember was Rick Mears winning in 1984. I was 6. Haven't gone every year, but I've always watched it if I wasn't there.

Should be a good one this year. Enjoy the race!
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Had a great time on the trip! Bummed that it's over.
I didn't get a chance to visit any breweries, either in Indy or L-ville, but did sample some local brews. Favorite was probably Sun King Osiris pale ale, also liked their Fistful of Hops Green. I also liked Quaff On/Big Woods' Yellow Dwarf hoppy wheat, but was not a fan of their Double IPA, Cross Hare (way too boozy, unpleasantly bitter, and not well-carbed). Picked up some ingredients/supplies at Great Fermentations in Avon, an LHBS that's much nicer than those near me - it looks like an actual store, not somebody selling stuff out of their storage room!

Good food, good beers, good weather, good race...good times!

Carb Day practice session at Indianapolis (click to enlarge):

Churchill Downs:
Crazy Climber:
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Glad you had a good time!