What are you Smokin', Grillin' or Cookin'?

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: What are you Smokin', Grillin' or Cookin'?

Post by FedoraDave »

Brisket is my brother's specialty. Honestly, you could cut that brisket with a plastic spork. Tender and flavorful; he does it right.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

It's early on Saturday morning and I'm warming up the smoker for a pork shoulder. It's weighs in at just under 7 pounds. I injected it and rubbed it up good last night. We've got a couple friends coming over tonight to see the baby. It's gonna be a good time full of pulled pork, beer and friends.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That looks totally delicious!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

Can you text any of the leftovers to me? PLEASE?
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I forgot about this thread. I smoked up some ribs on Monday for my MILs birthday.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE pulled pork and that looks yummy already because I know what the end result will look like.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Beer can chicken on the Akorn Smoker. Threw some apple chips on the coals. Daughter, Son-in-law and niece coming for dinner. Got an 8# chicken to accommodate wife's wishes, against my (always) better judgement.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

All done. Into the cooler to rest for an hour before it gets ripped apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Rayyankee
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Rayyankee »

That looks awesome Chris!!!! :wow: :wow:
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice, Chris.

What do you use to pull? I've used forks, my hands (ouch), and various other things until I came across these and I swear by them now:
BlackDuck

What are you Smokin', Grillin' or Cookin'?

Post by BlackDuck »

I just use two meat serving forks to get the job done. I've seen those bear claws before and have considered them.

Sorry I didn't get a picture of tasty pork after I pulled it. But I can tell you it was awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Kealia wrote:I can't tell you what I am smoking today, but it's legal in California.... :whistle:

Puff, Puff, Pass Humphrey! :unsure:
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Quick n simple BBQ chicken today...
Next Sunday a full on 8.5 lb pork butt in the Masterbuilt electric!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I won't be doing much smoking, grilling, or cooking until my vacation in August. I'm just too busy at work right now. Although I did have my nephew over a couple weekends ago, so he could give me a little pre-retirement advice, and I grilled up some chicken wings and some bacon-wrapped shrimp, as well as re-heating some of the ribs I'd smoked the weekend before. Delicious!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

Did these on my UDS here a bit back

Got in a money crunch this last week or so , so we thawed out a turkey and I smoked it up. Sorry no pics. Some days I just doing feel like doing a full blown photo shoot.
I let it go as far as I like the color to be then I wrap it up. I find black, crappy skin offensive and never want to serve it to anyone. My brother does that and it is horrible in my opinion.

In it and on it I used Compound butter consisting of garlic and herbs rubbed liberally under the skin. I put the turkey in a aluminum pan of ice cold water for 20-30 minutes so the breast does not get done any sooner than anything else and dry out. It should get done the same time roughly as the thigh and leg if I do it right.

I melt butter and mix in some Tasty - Licks rub and inject the breast. After I have patted the outside skin dry, I have rubbed the skin down with more of the garlic and herb compound butter and then dry rubbed with some more Tasty - Licks rub.

This would be spatchcocked as well and for the record, a turkey is a bear to spatchcock if you do NOT have a great to awesome pair of shears. Chickens are 1 thing. turkey is a whole other ball game.

After it gets done, I pull the bird and crank the heat up to around the 350 range and put the bird back on to firm the skin up so it is not rubbery. YUCK rubbery skin is bad. I'm not a pro, but in a taste test, my bird , no pun intended, smoked my brothers and the skin was not black.

that was cooking on the very same UDS that you see pictured above. it is direct heat so that is why i did not have the heat so high 100% full time. Awesome cooker!

Take care!

Ray
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

Did these on my UDS here a bit back

Got in a money crunch this last week or so , so we thawed out a turkey and I smoked it up. Sorry no pics. Some days I just doing feel like doing a full blown photo shoot.
I let it go as far as I like the color to be then I wrap it up. I find black, crappy skin offensive and never want to serve it to anyone. My brother does that and it is horrible in my opinion. It will only take smoke to 145 or so , so why keep it in the smoke?

In it and on it I used Compound butter consisting of garlic and herbs rubbed liberally under the skin. I put the turkey in a aluminum pan of ice cold water for 20-30 minutes so the breast does not get done any sooner than anything else and dry out. It should get done the same time roughly as the thigh and leg if I do it right.

I melt butter and mix in some Tasty - Licks rub and inject the breast. After I have patted the outside skin dry, I have rubbed the skin down with more of the garlic and herb compound butter and then dry rubbed with some more Tasty - Licks rub.

This would be spatchcocked as well and for the record, a turkey is a bear to spatchcock if you do NOT have a great to awesome pair of shears. Chickens are 1 thing. turkey is a whole other ball game.

After it gets done, I pull the bird and crank the heat up to around the 350 range and put the bird back on to firm the skin up so it is not rubbery. YUCK rubbery skin is bad. I'm not a pro, but in a taste test, my bird , no pun intended, smoked my brothers and the skin was not black.

that was cooking on the very same UDS that you see pictured above. it is direct heat so that is why i did not have the heat so high 100% full time. Awesome cooker!

Take care!

Ray