Experimental Cold Steeped Dry Stout

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Experimental Cold Steeped Dry Stout

Post by mashani »

So to try this again, I've got 3/4# of Chocolate Rye cold steeping since last night.

So later tonight I will "cold sparge" it a couple times and then just add for 3 gallons:

3.15# NB Gold LME that I got with some on sale kit
Jarrylo hops (probably as a single late addition since they are 14% AA, and I do want some of the fruit flavors)
1/2oz Sweet Orange Peel
Bella Saison

And that's it.

So a cold steeped "Rye" Belgian stout like substance.

Chocolate Rye is actually really mellow, much more mellow then Roasted Barley, so this should not taste like sucking on charcoal like Duponts "Monk Stout" even though it will ferment out to 1.002 or something stupid like that.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Experimental Cold Steeped Dry Stout

Post by mashani »

So the Belgian version above with the chocolate rye, I've busted into. It's good stuff. It is obviously a bit more "fruity" then the dry Irish version. It is walking the line between stout and porter actually I think (it's a fine line anyways). It's actually not that much more mellow then the roasted barley was in the dry irish stout, probably because how dry the bella ferments out. I don't really perceive the orange peel as "orange", as it is blends into the roasty flavors and the tart yeast/fruity hop flavors. So if you think porters are icky, this is still likely icky, but if you like them or stouts, this is a nice easy to drink thing and was super simple to make.

This is just as dry but waaaaay more mild then Dupont Monks Stout though. It is *not* like sucking on charcoal. I like it a lot better then that beer.