My impressions of some popular dry yeasts

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: My impressions of some popular dry yeasts

Post by BigPapaG »

monsteroyd wrote:I hope you like it. You turned me on to Saisons. I am pretty sure that the first Saison I did was your recipe, so I owe you :)

Monty
:lol: Ha ha ha, I'm flattered that you remember that simple recipe... Thanks man!

Yeah, I keep reading that it's a German Top Cropping yeast, and a few references say Kölsch-like so I figured what the heck, at the very least I'll end up with a German, ale(ish) beverage that will be fine!

:cool:
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

I used K-97 once or twice. My memory is that it was surprisingly phenolic (so not as clean as I was expecting), but not like black pepper or clove phenols.

It also didn't really have that Kolsch flavor. So it was an interesting yeast, and I liked it, but it wasn't one that I really figured out what beer to put it into and make great use out of.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Good post and summary Jon.... I too was surprised you didn't include Belle Saison though, it's my favorite in the warm weather months and I like Saisons. I have done quite a few batches with this yeast and come to a couple conclusions, I've used it dry and re-hydrated and at first didn't see much difference. Now I rather take the extra time to re-hydrate, it will start a lot faster [it is a fast starter dry also]. I like to pitch in the mid 60's and let it go to where ever. It will eat most everything so be prepaired for some low numbers 1.000-1.005 is most always common. It can end up a dryer beer then some may like. I cant wait to start brewing some Saison in a few months with it again.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Great original post, Jon, thanks -- and thanks to all who have added info since then. I'll add this observation:
Jon wrote:US-05: The Chico strain, aka Wyeast 1056, WLP001, and Sierra Nevada's yeast. The epitome of an APA yeast, it makes a *great* choice for American Ales of all types. A hint fruity at higher temps (nothing like Windsor, though) in a way that plays really well with citrusy American hops. At lower temps, it's very clean, though not quite as clean as Notty. It can handle temps down to the low 60s with no problem, and maybe even a bit lower, but it does REALLY slow down at those temps. I'd suggest double pitching below 63° and slowly warming up at the tail end of fermentation.
I have a RyePA fermenting now with US-05. Due to ambient temps in my basement, it's been around 60-61° F for most of the fermentation period. I did move it to a warmer spot for a couple of days after one week, but it's been mostly close to 60°. I was planning to bottle yesterday, which was day-18, but when I checked the airlock, it was still bubbling! Not a lot, but enough to indicate activity. I took a hydro reading and sure enough, it was 1.015 - my expected FG is more like 1.010. So even after 18 days, it's still working.

This made me go back and check my notes, and there was one other fermentation I had where US-05 under-performed (or so I thought at the time). Sure enough, my notes on that batch were that since it was winter, the fermentation took place mostly at 60°F.

In short, I can personally attest to your comments about this yeast slowing down a lot at the low end of the temp range. Anyone fermenting US-05 as low as 60° should be sure to give it plenty of time!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I'm a big fan of US05 for any of my 'American' styles, and WLP-001 as well. My LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast or I'd use WY-1506 too.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'