First Brew of 2016 (and an update!)

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: First Brew of 2016 (and an update!)

Post by Jon »

I was going to bottle this one tonight, but I decided to just drink instead

I'll probably bottle it tomorrow. :)
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

Bottling this now, in Mr. Beer 740ml bottles. It is flowing sloooowly, but it is flowing.

Gonna put the full bottles on top of the fridge to carb, then get them in the fridge to cold condition.

I used 1 Mr. Beer carb drop per bottle.
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

So I got 9 740ml bottles, and a litlte more--might not've used enough water in this batch.

But, when I tried a warm, flat sample after filling the 9 bottles--this was really green, and really estery. Neither was much of a surprise.

I'll give it some time on top of the fridge, and then hope that enough time in the back of the fridge will make it ok. :)
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

I put one of these in the back of the fridge. It's been 12 days...it's gotta be carbed by now.

However, I strongly suspect that it's still gonna have a strong green taste to it.

After I bottle (or keg) my cider, I might brew the next one with T-58 and deliberately let it ferment warm, even though I've got my fermenting fridge here now...though I might start it in the fermenting fridge for the first few days. I think the other one I have is Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

I might even have some DME here now...if I find it by the time I'm ready to brew that one, I'll definitely add some of it to the batch, then add some sugar once fermentation has gotten going.

I even have pots here now, so I can actually boil some water! :cool:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

@Jon it's good to hear that you've got pots, water and plans for your next brew in place now. Having moved fairly recently myself those memories are still fresh in my mind. Unpacking and just trying to figure where to put a salt and pepper shaker, and then later remembering where to find them. Good luck on this and your future batches.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:@Jon it's good to hear that you've got pots, water and plans for your next brew in place now. Having moved fairly recently myself those memories are still fresh in my mind. Unpacking and just trying to figure where to put a salt and pepper shaker, and then later remembering where to find them. Good luck on this and your future batches.
Ha! Ain't that the truth!
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

FYI, this beer was TERRIBLE. Probably due to the fact that there are chloramines in my water, and I didn't do anything to remove them (I'm sure the no temp control and huge portion of sugar adjunct didn't help)...but wow, it was rough.

WAY worse than my first Mr. Beer batch I brewed in Pittsburgh all those years ago, and all the added hops really didn't help it too much.

All that said, I still drank it--gotta drink your mistakes to remind yourself why you should do things right. ;)

I'm currently brewing the other can of extract...I'll start another post for it.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

That sucks man. I dont' know if I ever tasted off flavors form chloromine. If I did I didn't know thats what it was. I think a bag of Campden tablets will do you good for batches to come. Even cheaper and easier than a carbon filter, plus if you know you have chloromine, thats the way to get rid of it.
Brew Strong My Friends...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Before I started to use campden, I don't know that I ever "tasted" the chloramine in my water as something specific that I could put my finger on - it didn't make my beer taste awful or anything - but since I started to add the campden vs. just carbon filter everything does taste better for sure. The "base seems cleaner" as such, and the flavors I want/intend stand out more.
DjPorkchop

Post by DjPorkchop »

First off, I really hate to necro post. I really do. Next, Hello Jon! Long time no chit chat bud! Its been since MBF.

Next, I brewed one of these to, and well.... YUCK! It was nasty! It had a green apple taste to it that would NOT go away. It eased up a little over time but was nasty. As a matter of fact, I tried 3 refills and Never again. I hate to knock a product and wont do it now, but yuck. Plain and simple. Im curious if you had that taste or off flavor.

After the 3 refills I tried, I just can't get my self to ever do it again.

Take care man!

Ray