BrewDemon Deals

Share a deal or a steal you found with your BeerBorg buddies!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

BrewDemon Deals

Post by LouieMacGoo »

If anyone is looking for a good deal one 2.5 or 3 gal recipes BrewDemon has some of their 1.7 kg HMEs on sale for $9.30.

https://www.brewdemon.com/refills/indiv ... ngredients

I ended up picking up 1 of the Wild Spirit IPAs and 2 of the Oatmeal stouts and it only cost me $35 delivered.

:cheers:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: BrewDemon Deals

Post by bpgreen »

In case you didn't notice, the ones on sale are all past their "Best By" dates. LME doesn't spoil, but it does change as time goes on.

I haven't used HME in a really long time, but at this price, I'm tempted. Two of these would make a decent 5 gallon batch if I need to brew a batch in a hurry.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I used the WEHAVEBEER code when I registered, but didn't see any discount applied. Is the discount only on certain items?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You only get one discount. Clearance is the discount on those items.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I took advantage of the last sale BrewDemon had on their Ye Olde Devil Nut Brown Ales, buying several of them plus a 2G HellFire Deep Red Ale and a 6G Wild Spirit IPA to go along with them. I haven't bought any from this sale yet, as some of the ones I was interested in are already gone. But I'll probably buy a 6G recipe of the Shedu Oatmeal Stout as we liked that one too, possibly another WS IPA and some more of the Brown Ale. I might pick up some of the other ones (Cult Classic American Ale and the Vienna Lager are probably the only ones I've not tried) that are not on sale to add to the order. However I guess I need to buy some ingredients/recipes from my semi-LHBS too, to make sure they stay in business.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

bpgreen wrote:I used the WEHAVEBEER code when I registered, but didn't see any discount applied. Is the discount only on certain items?
There just certain 1.7 kg cans that are on clearance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I bought a few of these so I can have some quick brew days when I'm traveling more often.

I like that they come with 5 g of yeast per can. I may even use the yeast for some of the brews. Or maybe some other brews in warmer weather since it's probably more forgiving of temperatures above 65. Does anybody know if it's the same not-so-secret yeast that Mr Beer used in the pre-Coopers days?

How hoppy is the IPA? Will I need to add hops to get something that tastes like an IPA? I may end up adding something to it, anyway, since it's a bit low in gravity for an IPA. But that negates the reason for getting these in the first place, since my idea was to have an occasional 1/2 hour brew day.

I also got the pilsner (not sure why; I'm guessing that's pretty bland). And the oatmeal stout. They were all about 5 months past the best by date.

Also, I haven't used canned extract in a long time, so I forget the caveats. One of the cans was dented and one of the dents was near a seam. Is it safe or should I toss it? Or is that a question I should ask Brew Demon customer support?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The IPA is the same thing as the OLD Mr. Beer IPA.

It is bitter enough, but it can use more finishing hops. What I'd do is just heat it up to 170 or so, then turn off the heat and throw in some hops and do a little hop stand with a lid on the pot while it cools back down. That shouldn't take much time (just walk away and eat some dinner or something for the 20 minutes or so it sits with the hops steeping in it) and will improve it a lot.

Dented can should be fine IMHO. If you really want to worry about it just boil it for 10 minutes, that would denature any botulin toxin - but really that should not have formed anyways without manufacturing defect in the canning process, dented seam or not. So I doubt there is anything to worry about.

I'd be more worried about a swollen can (lid bulging, etc.).
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I'm seeing cheaper prices on some of those refills, and two pages of them also, when I login (that may be part of the reason for the additional discount?) and then look at their Stock-Up Saving's page. The Ye Olde Devil Nut Brown Ale is showing up at $3.30 for one can for me, of course you'll need a can of LME or 8oz of DME to go along with it for a 2G batch. I wonder how putting together two cans of the Nut Brown Ale HME instead of 1 HME and 1 LME would taste? Probably just a stronger version of the ale I'd imagine. :jumpy:

I've bought dented cans on clearance from BrewDemon before and had no problems at all with the beer. I was still able to open the can and pour it in the pot so it worked out fine.

Sam at BrewDemon has posted on here before what yeast they use, but I don't recall what it was now. It works fine nevertheless.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@TonyKZ1: 2 of the HME will give you a more bitter/hoppier beer then intended. That might be good or bad depending on your tastes.

Their yeast is SafeAle S-33 as far as I know.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I picked up enough of these for a dozen batches and brewed up 4 of them so far. The 3.75 lb cans at $9.30 will make a case of beer all by themselves, but I like to add a cup of sugar and a few ounces of maltodextrin for good measure. Three of the 1.2 lb cans does about the same thing. I haven't got to taste any of them yet, but pretty soon some will be ready. Other than the darker color, they seem mostly fine. The small Nut Brown cans have some pitting of the metal on both the inside and outside of the cans. One of the larger ones, either the Pilsner or IPA, I can't recall, started to crystallize and get thick and lumpy, like old honey does. But I'm brewing them all up and if they produce good beer I'll buy some more if they still have any. In fact, I'm shocked they haven't sold them all sooner at such prices. They sure do build up the pipeline real fast, if nothing else. Very soon I'll get back and report on the final product.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Sounds good. I need to get my order in for some more of the Wild Spirit IPA and the Shedu Oatmeal Stout before they are all gone. The last WS IPA that I brewed was ready Saturday and it's pretty good. I've brewed up quite a bit of the Brown Ale lately but I probably ought to get some more of that one too.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I don't think their site gets much traffic.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

@ joechianti

Hi Joe,

Now see, the pitting inside the cans would scare me... I don't think I would use those cans.

That's just me being overly careful probably... But still...

:o
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

BigPapaG wrote:@ joechianti

Hi Joe,

Now see, the pitting inside the cans would scare me... I don't think I would use those cans.

That's just me being overly careful probably... But still...

:o
Yes, that did certainly give me a moment of pause to think about it, as well. But I went ahead and brewed it up anyway, and we'll see what happens. I wasn't overjoyed about the pitting. In fact, I'm holding out hope that they may even get more aggressive on unloading these HME's before it's all over. They're now 6 months past the 'use by date' on cans, plus there's signs of age beyond just darker color, and they've been on closeout price for 2 months and still haven't all cleared out. I can accept the limitations of the expired product, especially if the price is right. Anyway, I hope to report some final results pretty soon. The earliest one I bottled was March 5th, so that one's very close to being ready to sample. Once I sample 2 or 3 batches, I'll decide if they're good enough to order more. That should all happen within the next couple weeks. I just hope they don't sell out before then, assuming the results are positive.

Edit: I have to say one thing, though... this was my first time ordering from Brew Demon (mostly because I had stockpiled so much ingredients that I didn't need anything for a LONG time. But the customer service there is just as good as it always was at Mr. Beer, which was as good as it gets.