Mr Beer now offering grains

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Mr Beer now offering grains

Post by bpgreen »

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good a spot as any. Modmins, feel free to move it.

Mr Beer is now selling pre crushed grains and kits that use grains, including steeping and partial mash.

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/35080 ... ut/?page=1
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Mr Beer now offering grains

Post by MadBrewer »

Mr. who?
Brew Strong My Friends...
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

MadBrewer wrote:Mr. who?
Mr Beer.

I got started using a Mr Beer kit from Woot!. I've brewed a lot of quality beers with their ingredients, although I haven't used any of their kits in a long time.

I'm fairly new here and didn't realize that references to Mr Beer are tabu. I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bp, that's KNeace. Although I am with him on the Mr. who--I am pretty sure Mr. Beer is not tabu here.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:bp, that's KNeace. Although I am with him on the Mr. who--I am pretty sure Mr. Beer is not tabu here.
I'll admit that I've got a lot of mixed feelings. I got my start with Mr Beer and used a lot of the Mr Beer refills early. And I learned a lot from the Mr Beer forum, and more from the Mr Beer Fans forum.

And I hated the way they shut down the Mr Beer Fans site.

But that's where I started, and I've got a soft spot for Mr Beer, even if it's now Mr Cooper Beer.

I haven't bought anything from Mr Beer in more than 5 years, and I doubt that will change.

But it's still where I started. And if there are people who are still looking to Mr Beer as their LHBS, this is good news.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Like 'em or not, I've said they should do that for a long time. It gives folks a way to step up their brewing techniques while keeping them relevant.

EDIT: Looks like a pretty good assortment, enough to extend the styles you can make quite far. *if* I was buying something from them and needed to pad my order, I could easily see adding grains to get free shipping. I've not bought anything from them in a long time, but I can see folks who do doing this so they don't have to run out to a LHBS to find grains to play with. For those who are new here, although I've not used any HME's since I discovered the magic of high AA hop / short boil brewing, I used to just use HME's as a base malt to get a bittering addition without having to spend 60 minutes boiling when I didn't have a lot of time. I was picky about which ones, only a handful really worked well, but the ones that did were good for this. (and I was an AG brewer long before HME's existed... it was a matter of time/convenience to "revert" as such).
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

It was meant lightly. I feel ya BP...I got my start with MB and all the great guys at MBF that helped me along the way. I certainly wouldnt be brewing as I am today if not for getting my feet wet with MB. I dont think I ever would have picked it up on my own had I not been gifted my first kit. I certainly wouldnt have known the level of homebrewing that is out there without MB.

Seems like a wise choice on there part. It will at least help retain those brewers even longer and help them make even better beer.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Heh, finally offering grains. Those folks sure are innovative.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

I got my start with Mr. Beer just like the rest of you. I never liked the beer I made from them. I was determined to make good beer though. If it wasn't for the fellas at MBF teaching me how to make beer other than Mr. Beer Kits, I would still be drinking Miller Lite. Now if they would have offered these things when I was still using the refills I may have bought more.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Same here, a MB kit given to me as a gift 5 years ago, is what got me hooked on brewing. I wonder what 'hobbies' could have taken the place of brewing beer, had I not received that kit. I live 5 minutes away from my LHBS and often get my grains double crushed on brewdays. I've had beer brewed at a couple of small local breweries that buy pallet loads of pre-crushed grains, but I just like knowing the grains I brew with are the freshest.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Pudge wrote:Heh, finally offering grains. Those folks sure are innovative.
Who woulda thunk it?
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

do they charge by the grain or by weight?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Mr. Beer is not getting into the grain business. They are creating recipes that include steeping grains, in 4 oz packets (milled). So far there is one recipe listed, Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale, with 7 more coming (including Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout).

They will also be selling approximately 20 grains (already crushed), for $.50 per 4 oz packet. http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/35080 ... ent=433530

This isn't a new way to buy grains for homebrewers, this is the next step for people who are ready to move on from a can of HME to steeped grains, hops, and a can of HME.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:
The_Professor wrote:bp, that's KNeace. Although I am with him on the Mr. who--I am pretty sure Mr. Beer is not tabu here.
I'll admit that I've got a lot of mixed feelings. I got my start with Mr Beer and used a lot of the Mr Beer refills early. And I learned a lot from the Mr Beer forum, and more from the Mr Beer Fans forum.

And I hated the way they shut down the Mr Beer Fans site.

But that's where I started, and I've got a soft spot for Mr Beer, even if it's now Mr Cooper Beer.

I haven't bought anything from Mr Beer in more than 5 years, and I doubt that will change.

But it's still where I started. And if there are people who are still looking to Mr Beer as their LHBS, this is good news.
I actually was not going to respond to this thread in any way. My first response was because I am sure no one should feel they they can't discuss Mr. Beer products at BeerBorg.

Over at MBF mention of Brew Demon was censored. Peter initiated it due to "legal issues". Mr. Beer's take was that Brew Demon stole their old recipes. I took no steps as an Admin to circumvent the censoring Peter put in place, but I also took no steps to discourage or report any discussions that did take place.

That is one thing I did not really care for at the old MBF forum. Not allowing various venders to post about their products and possibly offering deals to the members. Generally there was a lot of freedom to post there.

Although most of my brews now-a-days are all grain (or any other crazy thing I wanna do) I don't rule out doing an extract sometime. Annapolishomebrew offered 2 gallon extract kits for a while and I tried a few using a Mr. Beer keg and wrote about it. I tried a couple of the newer Cooper's Mr. Beer also. Chug offered a 2 gallon all grain Kit that I tried using a LBK.

But I also saw how Mr.Beer handled their own forum when they alienated a lot of the earlier members of this BeerBorg forum and how they double dealt us at MBF, wiping the forum off the internet.

Mr. Beer is where I started also, but I am done with them. Anyone else is free to discuss anything about Mr. Beer they wish and I am free not to join in.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

The_Professor wrote: Over at MBF mention of Brew Demon was censored. Peter initiated it due to "legal issues". Mr. Beer's take was that Brew Demon stole their old recipes. I took no steps as an Admin to circumvent the censoring

Yeah I remember when we realized you couldn't say the word demon there.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe