Dead ringer kit

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Dead ringer kit

Post by bpgreen »

A couple of months ago, NB had a deal where you could buy a dead ringer kit and a kettle and get a brewing starter kit (fermenter, siphon, bottling bucket and another brew) for free.

So I bit and got the extract + steeping grains version. 9.15 lbs LME and 1 lb steeping grains.

I'm going to brew it this weekend, with a slight change (they call for boiling all of the extract all the time, but I'm going to add most of the extract at flameout).

I'm also going to use Nottingham, since I'll be fermenting in my basement and I keep my thermostat pretty low in winter)

Has anybody else brewed this kit? If so, what did you think of it?

It looks good to me, so if it turns out well, I'll probably do a variation of it in the future, with hop substitutions (my centennial bines don't produce as much, my cascades give a lot and I've got a lot of bulk cascade pellets). I'll also probably do a partial mash to replace 3.15 lbs of extract.

But for this batch, it's mostly as-is (with the exception of the late extract addition). That may make it hoppier than intended, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Dead ringer kit

Post by Pudge »

Long time ago, but a good brew.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Dead ringer kit

Post by John Sand »

Not that one, but I'm drinking their Plinian Legacy now, it's excellent.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.