Brown Porter

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

SomeGuyBrewing
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Brown Porter

Post by SomeGuyBrewing »

Decided I wanted a nice porter. Formulated my recipe and realized I had a half pound of White Wheat that I had nothing planned for so that was thrown in for the hell of it.
This is for a mr beer sized batch (2.13 gallons i think). I have a small apt and order everything online so the crush isn't great for BIAB so my efficiency is pretty low which is why the weights will seem high to you, big whoop, deal with it :lol:

Brown Porter

As measured by Hydrometer
OG = 1.069
FG = 1.020
ABV = 6.43%

GRAIN
3 lbs - 2Row
2 lbs - Munich
.5 lbs - White Wheat
4 oz - Crystal 60
4 oz - Coffee Malt
3 oz - Brown Malt
3 oz - Pale Chocolate

HOPS
Brewers Gold - 6 grams - 60 minutes
Brewers Gold - 9 grams - 6 minutes

YEAST
Saflager W34/70

MASH
154 for 70 min.

FERMENT
@65 for 3 weeks

I taste all my beers after 3-4 weeks in the bottle. Tasted this one a couple weeks ago and it was damn good. Still too young, will give it a proper taste test in another 2-3 weeks, flavors should be fully melded by then. Update to follow.

(edited for correction and to add ferment info)
Last edited by SomeGuyBrewing on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Good things happen to those who hustle.” - Chuck Noll
See what SomeGuy is brewing
Drinking:
Drago - FES
Fool's Gold Pale Ale
Maple Apple Cider
Wheats The Deal With Hops?
The Blonde One

Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning:

Fermenting:
Honey Crisp IPA

On Deck:
Golden Stout, Recipe inspired by Aztec Brewery

Competitions:
The Blonde One - Silver Medal - Thirsty Classic 2016

Never Forget
Amber Alert, Drunkin Pumpkin 2013, Tryin' To Get A Nut - Brown Ale, Wheat You Talkin' Bout Willis?, Good Twin, Blacker the Berry the Sweeter the Porter, New World...Altbier, Smoked Sour(ish), Oh YEAAH!!! - Orange Wheat, Evil Twin, Hanger 12 - OITNB, The Gose & The Darkness, First Harvest, Ghost Pumpkin, Grapefruit IPA, Murphy Brown Porter, Thanksgiving Blonde
SomeGuyBrewing
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Brown Porter

Post by SomeGuyBrewing »

Some of you may question the Brewers Gold use/times/amounts. I had a bunch that I didn't want anymore. Used at 60 because who cares its just bittering. Used at 6, knowing aroma for these hops isn't great but figured, "Hey maybe I'll get a little black currant out of it"
Drinking:
Drago - FES
Fool's Gold Pale Ale
Maple Apple Cider
The Blonde One

Fermenting:
Honey Crisp IPA

On Deck:

Competitions:

Never Forget
Amber Alert, Drunkin Pumpkin 2013, Tryin' To Get A Nut - Brown Ale, Wheat You Talkin' Bout Willis?, Good Twin, Blacker the Berry the Sweeter the Porter, New World...Altbier, Smoked Sour(ish), Oh YEAAH!!! - Orange Wheat, Evil Twin, Hanger 12 - OITNB, The Gose & The Darkness, First Harvest, Ghost Pumpkin, Grapefruit IPA, Murphy Brown Porter, Thanksgiving Blonde
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Looks fine. The wheat will actually help with the head and head retention and since its a brown porter it won't really effect its clarity at all since its darker. I have resorted to using Carapils for the head/retention but I used to use a small amount of wheat is most of my other beers for that. Since I have been trying to clear mine up more I opted to stray from that method. You may want to use a few grams of hops around 12 minutes as well. I like Williamette personally for my porters.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
SomeGuyBrewing
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by SomeGuyBrewing »

Thanks for the input! Yeah my thoughts on the wheat were it will help head retention and boost the abv a tad so no harm there. And like you said, being a darker beer clarity isn't a terrible concern for me.
I'm really liking the grain bill of this recipe so I think that will stay relatively the same in future batches. As for hops, I'm sure I'll play around with those additions and amounts in future batches, thanks for the suggestion of a 20 minute add, I think I'll try that out next time. My plan is to keep the current grain bill but experiment with different hop schedules and every once in a while do some crazy additions (fruit, spices, bourbon, pb powder, etc)
Drinking:
Drago - FES
Fool's Gold Pale Ale
Maple Apple Cider
The Blonde One

Fermenting:
Honey Crisp IPA

On Deck:

Competitions:

Never Forget