Electric brewing power plug confusion.

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Electric brewing power plug confusion.

Post by losman26 »

This is kind of a long/ short term project that I'm considering , but I'm looking at a couple of online kits/ components, and thinking of either buying a fully assembled one or the parts and doing it myself. I do not understand the plug/ electricity situation. Do I essentially need to have some sort of wiring similar to what my dryer has? Can an electric BIAB system not be plugged directly into a standard plug, like in a kitchen?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Electric brewing power plug confusion.

Post by RickBeer »

The system will likely be 220, not 110, although it's not for certain. If it's 220, it could be 3 or 4 prong, depending on code. You would either need a new 220 circuit or be able to add a plug to the dryer circuit but only use one at a time. Even if it was 110, the power demands might necessitate a separate circuit

For example, this system requires a 220 volt 30amp circuit. http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productc ... -p3987.htm
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Yep, what Rick said. All pre-built systems on the market are 240V and require a dedicated 30-50A circuit. Ideally, you would need a 4-prong outlet (2 hots, neutral, and ground) - this way, your control panel can run both 240V and 110V equipment (i.e. a pump).

When I designed and built my eBIAB system, I decided to not go the 240V route. I have no existing 240V outlets (gas dryer and a gas stove), and didn't want the expense of running a new one. Since I have two separate 20A 110V circuits in my kitchen, that's the route I took. It's a bit more complicated and expensive as you basically need twice the number of components in your control panel vs. 240V, but for me it made sense.

Good luck!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

russki wrote:Yep, what Rick said. All pre-built systems on the market are 240V and require a dedicated 30-50A circuit. Ideally, you would need a 4-prong outlet (2 hots, neutral, and ground) - this way, your control panel can run both 240V and 110V equipment (i.e. a pump).

When I designed and built my eBIAB system, I decided to not go the 240V route. I have no existing 240V outlets (gas dryer and a gas stove), and didn't want the expense of running a new one. Since I have two separate 20A 110V circuits in my kitchen, that's the route I took. It's a bit more complicated and expensive as you basically need twice the number of components in your control panel vs. 240V, but for me it made sense.

Good luck!
Since I rent out an apartment, I don't foresee my self being to get 240 V outlets. Also, your setup looks way beyond my knowledge. I guess, I'll be using the outdoor burner for a while, unless I can find a pre-built system with 110V.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've been gathering information on the High Gravity RIMS setup for a few months now and plan on getting it with the 4 wire plug end. A licensed electrician will install a dedicated 220v 30amp line in my brewroom with a GFIC for safety.

After a lot of research I'm definitely an electric brewing convert now. Electric brewing is 100% efficient, a 5,500 watt heating element produces heat equal to that of an 80,000 btu gas burner. With electric brewing you also only need about 10% of the ventilation required when using a gas burner, since there is no need to exhaust carbon monoxide gas along with the boil vapors.

My dream system is the 82 quart High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System (BIAB) with a EBC-SV controller, Chugger pump and 4 prong Plug (NEMA 14-30P). A fast calculation proved I need to install an exhaust fan capable of moving 400 cubic feet per minute to keep the room comfortable to work in too.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

These are nice. I want one soooo bad, but not savvy enough to build one. I may just have to put on on my want list, should reach the top of the list sometime around yr 2150. Did I say I really want one. Not a big one, I would be happy to have one sized for 2.5 gallon finished product.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've found an electrician who will be installing the 220 volt 30 amp line in my garage to power up my RIMS system. There's no turning back for me now and it's time to start looking for some sturdy low cost stainless steel tables to use in the brewroom. High Gravity supplies either a 3 prong or 4 prong plug end, you have to specify which type you want when you place your order with them. If like me you want your system on a GFIC circuit make sure you get the 4 prong plug.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Good point on the GFIC circuit Screwy, otherwise one's hair could end up sticking straight up like, well, like yours... :whistle:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Screwy, try looking into used restaurant equipment dealers for the stainless tables. Unfortunately, many business's are folding. I know where I am, there is a large warehouse full of all equipment. He goes there only when someone calls and meets him, keeps labor at a minimum for him. There may be something like that around you.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Thanks for that tip, I do appreciate saving some money as I build out the new brew room. I'm also in the market for a 15 gallon conical fermentor and a 15 gallon food grade plastic tank to mix my brewing water in.

russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:Thanks for that tip, I do appreciate saving some money as I build out the new brew room. I'm also in the market for a 15 gallon conical fermentor and a 15 gallon food grade plastic tank to mix my brewing water in.
For a conical on a budget, have you looked at plastic inductor tanks? There's a number of builds using these on HBT, including temperature controlled ones. Just a thought...
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Thanks for the tip! I found this US Plastic site that seems to have just about anything imaginable for brewing and other things. Time to start broadening my horizons.