Stir plate for hydrating yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Stir plate for hydrating yeast

Post by Whamolagan »

I use mostly dry yeast and am curios if using a stir plate will help in the hydrating by gently stirring and keeping it in suspension.
Beer-lord

Re: Stir plate for hydrating yeast

Post by Beer-lord »

From my yeast OCDness, I've read very often, you only hurt dry yeast by putting it on a stir plate. People do it but the yeast nerds say that's a definite no -no.
I've never tried it myself.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I thought about that. thanks for not letting me waste money on a stir plate
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

If you plan on using liquid yeast, a stir plate is a great investment. I use 90% liquid yeast and save a good deal of money making extra large starters that I save for future brews. 1-$7 pack of liquid yeast can get me 4-5 brews when I plan ahead.
But, you can start with a flask and simply shake it a few times a day and get a decent size starter.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I use dry yeast about 98% of the time. I use Fermentis, and never rehydrate, and have had good results. I pitch according to their directions, which is direct, above 68 (I get it between 68 and 70), let sit for 30 minutes, then beat the piss out of it with a hand held mixer with the whisk attachment.

Like you said Whamo, no need to spend the extra money on a stir plate and flask if you don't need it.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I have tried rehydrating and sprinkling. I never saw any difference so I don't waste my time rehydrating.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Whamolagan wrote:I use mostly dry yeast and am curios if using a stir plate will help in the hydrating by gently stirring and keeping it in suspension.
I don't think so and no need. I very seldom re-hydrate dry yeast except for Belle Saison and I've used it a number of times now and I do think now re-hydrating is better on this one. liquid yeast, I'm a believer on a starter and a stir plate, it works...............
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I have made starters with dry yeast and have had really good fermentations and gets me closer to correct pitch rate than an underpitch. Will be making starter with S-05 for the the upcoming weekend brewday.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Beer-lord wrote:If you plan on using liquid yeast, a stir plate is a great investment. I use 90% liquid yeast and save a good deal of money making extra large starters that I save for future brews. 1-$7 pack of liquid yeast can get me 4-5 brews when I plan ahead.
But, you can start with a flask and simply shake it a few times a day and get a decent size starter.
What’s your process for that? Do you do step-ups from your original starter every time, or just warm it up and pitch it? I would assume it all depends on how long between brews?

FWIW, I’ve found my results don’t depend so much on whether I re-hydrate dry yeast, but on how much I oxygenate the wort before pitching. I oxygenate the bejeebers out of it with an O2 tank and stone and usually have good bubbling within a couple of hours.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Alb, basically, this is what I follow though not 100%.
Now there are some that say that making a starter at about 1.037 and then saving 500ml of it to make another starter of 1.037 isn't good for the yeast cell production but since I try to over pitch and I only do 3-4 generations, I've not run into it.
In fact, I can't tell the difference between a fresh starter and a 're-freshed' starter. The idea is that you are basically starting off clean each time. No hop funk or left over, washed yeast, althought that's worked just as well for me in the past but I just find this easier. Sure, you'd do better to have a huge flask so it's a few $$$ of investment but I have saved a good deal of money this way and friends have laughed at my yeast bank in my fridge.

Regarding making a starter using dry yeast, I'm sure there's lots of debate on this as well but I've found a number of places where people go into detail over my head about it hurting the cell structure and that the protection of the yeast by drying it is undone when a starter is made. I can't recall but I seem to remember John Palmer discussing this in his book but just don't recall exactly where he came down on this. I've stayed away from doing that so far.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

I've never re-hyrated dry yeast as I've heard it was a no no. I just sprinkle on top and go.

I have only recently begun using a stir-plate for liquid yeast and let me tell you it makes a difference. I was getting a big lag before the yeast took off, sometimes 2 or 3 days. With a stir-plate and liquid yeast, it takes off almost instantly.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

If I don't decant, I find things start faster but if I chill and decant, while still fast, it takes about twice as long to get things started. But, either way, things get started way before you see anything and that's what's important.
Plus, stir plates last forever. Those things just don't break.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black