Strange yeast starter

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Strange yeast starter

Post by Ibasterd »

I did up a yeast starter with some WLP550. Set the stir plate to a low setting, just creating a dimple in the surface, and let it go. About 36 hours into it, I checked and noticed that it was no longer swirling and had a fair krausen on it. After messing about for a while to see if the stir plate had malfunctioned or what, I managed to get it going again, but it took a few tries. I think what happened is that the yeast took off, producing so much gas and bubbles, that the bubbles were getting sucked down to the stir bar and throwing it off. Today is slightly over 48 hours and it's fine. Anyone else have this happen?
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Strange yeast starter

Post by alb »

I’ve had the stir bar sling off to the side if I turn it up too high. Sometimes I lose my vortex (at the same speed) as the yeast count goes up. I’ve always wondered if the viscosity changes enough to do that.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Can't say that I have, no. I've spun a 2L starter on mine with no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have had starters that had lots of krausen which caused the vortex to decrease but not stop. Turning it higher fixed it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

High end stirplates can auto compensate for viscosity changes, they can also include a built in heater and thermostat, but setting the flask dead center and turning up the speed should be enough to keep the whirlpool going.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Well, strange starter or not, this one took off like crazy. Had serious action within hours of pitching, and still going 4 days later. This is only the fourth one that I've done, and I'm beginning to really like making starters!
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"