Yeast book to read

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Yeast book to read

Post by Whamolagan »

Not sure if anyone has picked up the yeast book by chris white. I highly recommend it. It can get a little technical, but worth it. I haven't finished it, but there are a few things that I have picked up already that I have put into play. Jamil helped in writing it if that tells you anything. Chris white is the owner (with his brother) of white labs. There seems to be a lot left out of our discussions here about yeast, all the while it is the most important part of what we do. Things like pitching temp and fermentation temps are really critical along with oxygenation rates. If you want to educate yourself go out and get a copy.

I am in no way affiliated with the publication of this book.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Yeast book to read

Post by MadBrewer »

I bought the book last year sometime. It's been a good read, I picked up quite a bit. At least a further understanding of whats really going on. I have been able to reference it to answer a few questions of my own. I'm starting to get a small library of brewing related material. I love it, best way to obtain knowledge.
Brew Strong My Friends...
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Same here, I own it and find it to be a great reference piece.

Lots of great info... A fine addition to my existing library of brewing texts...

I also have Water as well as Hops... Still need Malt to round out that collection.

In addition to:

Brew Like A Monk, Brewing Classic Styles, Brewing with Wheat, American Sour Beers, Farmhouse Ales, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing...

Not a bad one in the lot if you ask me...

I also want to pick up Mitch Steels IPA book...

:cool:
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I recently acquired the book and I'm planning to read on my upcoming time off. I will say before even reading it that I've noticed a huge difference since starting to oxygenate my wort with oxygen and a diffuser stone. Maybe I'm overkilling a little by running it for a good full minute, but my active fermentation typically starts in under 2 hours, is vigorous for 4 days, and cleans itself up nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can do.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Yeah I got the hops and water and malt book, but I can only take in so much before I have to process. The water book is really technical, probably too much for me
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I have the Water book, BCS, The IPA book, Brewing Better Beer, Modern Beer Recipes, Stouts and Porters, The Yeast book, New Lager Brewing by Noonan and of course How To Brew.

The Water boom is the most techincal I agree Whamo...Palmer loves to get all geeked out on beer shit. The yeast book is pretty techy too but still quite practical. The reipe books are great, the IPA book as been cool to look through and who didnt learn a ton from How to brew but I have to say the book I most enjoyed and really got inspired from is Brewing Better beer by Gordon Strong. Its the way its written its not another how to guide...we know how to brew. That book is like a personal journal of all his brewing info tips and tricks...good stuff.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I am about halfway thru the Water book, it makes my head hurt, but will probably need to read it thru again to grasp the more technical aspects of it.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013