Fermenting Buckets - How Long Do You Keep'em?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Fermenting Buckets - How Long Do You Keep'em?

Post by brewnewb »

I have a few 5 gallon buckets that are over a year old now. They seem harder to clean and show signs of stains. Is it time to replace?

I'm considering going back to good ole LBKs. They are inexpensive, fit nicely on the shelves where I brew and they seem to last. From a cost persective 2 LBKs are cheaper than one 5 gal bucket, lid, spigot and airlock.

The Brew Demon conical is nice but I can get 4 LBKs for the price of one conical. Plus the conical does not fit on my shelving.

Also, I've been trying to "grow my brewing experience" a little by doing more 2.5 batches with new recipies and steeping different grains with extracts. Another reason to consider LBKs is that I have 4 of those small 2.5 kegs so it's easy match a batch to a keg.

Did I just talk myself into getiing a couple more LBKs or am I going nuts? :idea:
Thirsting For Knowledge
Beer-lord

Re: Fermenting Buckets - How Long Do You Keep'em?

Post by Beer-lord »

The one's I ferment in I keep for about 18 months but I have a SS fermenter I use 75% of the time and don't use the buckets that much anymore.
They're cheap enough that buying new ones every 18 months isn't bad. The old ones I keep to store grain in or for other house hold reasons though I have had enough over the years to ditch the really old ones.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I've got one going on close to 2 years. It sees approximately one batch per month. It is showing some slight staining, but that's about it. But I should probably replace it before it ruins a batch.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Really, if you keep them clean, even the scratches shouldn't be a problem but for $15, why not get a new one?
The Big Mouth plastic is really great IMO. I got the strap and it really helps move the fermenter into the keezer and removing it. And, I really don't think it will need to be changed as often as a bucket.
For the record, I don't put anything in my fermenting buckets at all. They are cleaned and the lid goes on it and kept that way. That reduces the chances for the large gouges that can be a problem.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I use 4 LBKs on a regular basis (sometimes 6), and have a few :whistle: more. If you're considering getting more LBKs, I would recommend you wait until the January/February timeframe when the stores put them on clearance. For me the size is perfect - I make 5 gallon batches but don't want to carry 5 gallons due to a bad back. And my upright freezer with coils under the shelves perfectly fits LBKs and nothing else - I could have 5-6 in there at once.

In January 2013 I bought 2 full kits from Rite Aid for $12.49 each (sold one for $30 and the other for $25 before deciding I wanted more than my initial 2).

Last year Mr. Beer made special packages just for Target consisting of an LBK, a can of CAL, carbonation drops, and no rinse sanitizer. I bought 5 of them for $8.98 each. I then sold the cans of CAL (I don't like it) to a fellow homebrewer, gave them a deal, ended up costing me nothing for the LBKs. I also picked up another LBK and ten 25 oz bottles, plus another can of CAL and a can of Irish Stout, for $10 on Craigslist, have the can of CAL again for sale.

So that's 2 original LBKs (I from Woot, one from CL), 5 more from Target, and another from CL for a total of 8. I also have 2 others that were replacements for ones with defective holes, I ended up using a file and got them so they wouldn't leak - so with 2 more spigots and 2 more lids I'd have 10. I only really have a need for 6 max - my youngest son (who moved back home after grad school but professes to want to brew when he goes on his own) may take 2 or 4 with him.

So I'd say wait. Get the list of local retailers from Mr. Beer's site in your area (usually Target, KMart) and search online come mid January.

Also - Mr. Beer just changed the LBK to a bigger opening and a black spigot. Some other things going on - I expect large clearance sales coming up in January.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

RickBeer wrote: Also - Mr. Beer just changed the LBK to a bigger opening and a black spigot. Some other things going on - I expect large clearance sales coming up in January.
RB - All great points. I'll have to look up those local retailers. Like you, all I want is the LBK.
Thirsting For Knowledge
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I have been using the same four 6.5 gallon Ale Pails for going on 5 years now and have never had any issues with flavors or worst of all infections. I have replaced the spigots several times during that time though and take them apart to clean the inside of the valve between fermentations. You would be surprised at just how much trub can hide inside the spigot and valve assembly after fermenting a batch of beer, I know I was.
fermtors-sml.jpg
fermtors-sml.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I've scrapped all of my LBKs, too hard to get my big mitts in them, don't like spigots on fermenters (broke two!). I'm glad MrB is improving them. I have two buckets, a glass carboy and a BDC. The older bucket is over two years old, no trouble yet.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Plastics should be replaced fine as a rule of thumb... just saying.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Go to glass if you have the space, you never have to replace them unless you drop one. There are a lot of glass options out there these days. If you do happen to get an infection in plastic, you can never get it out of the plastic due to the fact that plastic is permeable. I used LBKs for over 2 years until I had massive mold due to 2 out of 8 spigots leaking and didn't catch it in time. Just remember that just because it is a 5 gallon glass carboy, doesn't mean you can't just put 2.5 gallons in it. You can make a real big beer and not have to have a blow off tube that way.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

I only replace them if they are cracked or leaking. I use the Mr Clean magic erasers to clean plastic, cause they don't scratch the plastic surface.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

I'm with Screwy on this one. I'm using the same buckets goin on 4 years. If I feel they are scratched, I might replace. As long as they don't get scratched or end up with an infection, I'll continue to use them. Ya just have to make sure they get cleaned good after every batch. Hell, I have beer tap lines that are over 2 years old. Never had a problem with off taste or infections as long as I've remained diligent about cleaning.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I have an Ale Pail that is several years old. I buy wheat from Costco in buckets that are a perfect size for fermenters. So I use those as well. I had a bucket develop mold, so I threw it out.

If a bucket doesn't have any problems, I don't worry about it.

@ScrewyBrewer, you ferment in ale pails with spigots? My LHBS told me that was a bad idea. If you've been doing it successfully, I've got another bucket I can use.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

bpgreen wrote: @ScrewyBrewer, you ferment in ale pails with spigots? My LHBS told me that was a bad idea. If you've been doing it successfully, I've got another bucket I can use.
My LHBS gave me the same advise, but I was using it in a plastic bin with water and ice packs in the summer as a swamp cooler so I think that was more the possible nasties from the water for 2-3 weeks. I think it would be ok if the spigot was clean and sanitized, to be extra diligent maybe sanitize a sandwich bag and wrap the spigot in the bag and secure it with a rubber band.

On the topic, I am going on 18 months with the same ale pails no problems so far, knock on wood. I did have to re-purpose one, somehow plumbers got solder and who knows what else stuck to the inside of a bucket when they were replacing water heater. After scraping the solder out of it, only gets used for carting around grain or water.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

Thanks guys! I'll keep what I have for now and maybe mix another LBK or 2 once the clearance sales go on.
Thirsting For Knowledge