Electric BIAB System

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Electric BIAB System

Post by JohnSant »

Did a quick boil today to get my boil off volume. Not really a happy camper right now, the boil seemed to be on the low side not a good boil at all. Called Dave talked it over with him he seems to think that with just water I wasn't seeing the full boil, he recommended that I brew a beer and see what the boil looks like with wort. I went to the LHBS and got a simple all grain kit (didn't want to take the time to put one together). Got the water, and everything else ready to brew tomorrow. Between that and putting up the Christmas tree It looks as if my day is going to be full. Just hope that Dave is right, but I don't think so.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

You don't really need a very vigorous boil though with Pilsner, I prefer that.
I've heard nothing but great things about Dave and his equipment so I'm thinking you'll be fine.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Thanks Beer-Lord you're right Dave is an outstanding guy that's why I'll try the brew first but there are so many beers I want to do, we'll see.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

212 is 212, the boil is for sterilization and releasing the bitterness of the hops. I don't know that a vigorous boil is that necessary.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Whamolagan wrote:212 is 212, the boil is for sterilization and releasing the bitterness of the hops. I don't know that a vigorous boil is that necessary.
I think you mean boiling is boiling.

Aren't you at an elevation? If so, you won't get to 212. I think the boiling point where I am is about 205.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, you honestly only need 190 or so to get full utilization and that is plenty hot to kill the bugs over time too. Some of those AG brewing utensils (pico, etc.) that are out now never actually boil anything. They just get close. And they don't make DMS somehow.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I remember ages ago when I first started I tried a lager and it never did get a roiling boil and I had a slight corn taste and always thought it was because it didn't boil the pilsner hard enough. But back then, I knew absolutely nothing.
I like to start with a hard boil for a few minutes then slow it down for the rest of the boil. So far, I've never noticed DMS so I keep doing what works for me.
I think we're like 8 feet below sea level so I think we boil at 213 but am not sure.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Beer-lord wrote:I remember ages ago when I first started I tried a lager and it never did get a roiling boil and I had a slight corn taste and always thought it was because it didn't boil the pilsner hard enough. But back then, I knew absolutely nothing.
I like to start with a hard boil for a few minutes then slow it down for the rest of the boil. So far, I've never noticed DMS so I keep doing what works for me.
I think we're like 8 feet below sea level so I think we boil at 213 but am not sure.
-8 ft isn't really enough to make a difference in the boiling point. It doesn't get to 212.5 until -250 ft.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I'm pretty sure the boil just needs to be rolling enough to form a hot break and you''l be fine.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

bpgreen wrote:
Whamolagan wrote:212 is 212, the boil is for sterilization and releasing the bitterness of the hops. I don't know that a vigorous boil is that necessary.
I think you mean boiling is boiling.

Aren't you at an elevation? If so, you won't get to 212. I think the boiling point where I am is about 205.
Yeah thats what I meant. I forgot about elevation. It has been about 20 years since I had to cook at elevation
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Ok did my beer today. Had a Summer Blonde Ale w/lemon peel. Must say I did get a better boil than just what the water was showing, so Dave was right(needed wort to see what was going on). Must say this system is rock soild, couldn't ask for a better system with the EBC SV it performed very well on controling the mash only minor deviations of + or - 1 deg. The brew is another story, I calculated my srike volume to high and had to extend the boil to insure I got close to my OG. made a mess while brewing (OMG) that hardly ever happens ( yah right ).Didn't let my finished wort settle to allow cold break to settle...... you get my drift. It did take longer than I was hoping for but new system and all, I'm very pleased with my 120V Electric BIAB System w/EBC-SV. I got 2 LBK's in the fermentation chamber waiting for those little yeasties to start chomping away. :banana: :flag:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Good to hear and a job well done @JohnSant! Dialing in the boil off rate on a new system has it's advantages, next time you will go in already knowing what it is. Remember to not turn your back on the boil, those boil overs can be a PITA to clean up. Congratulations, your fun has just begun.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Hey Screwy thanks man. I was figuring for a 6.5 gal bucket and then remembered I was going to LBK's, Oh well live and learn (and if I can't do that then pay attention to what your doing). I got a new girlfriend her name is EBC-SV. :jumpy: :flag:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Woo Hoo! Congratulations on the first of many brew days with your new system.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

JohnSant wrote:Hey Screwy thanks man. I was figuring for a 6.5 gal bucket and then remembered I was going to LBK's, Oh well live and learn (and if I can't do that then pay attention to what your doing). I got a new girlfriend her name is EBC-SV. :jumpy: :flag:
@JohnSant, Yes I know and she is very sexy.
ebc-sv-sml.jpg
ebc-sv-sml.jpg (58.42 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
I'm seeing her older sister!