quicker way to carbonate kegs

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

quicker way to carbonate kegs

Post by Gymrat »

I just got a new auto siphon. It used a half inch hose. The thing is huge. It did make transferring beer MUCH faster. However the hose didn't fit quite tight enough onto the auto siphon so the first time I used it I transferred a lot of air along with the beer. To get the air back out of my beer, once it was kegged, I put the "in" post on the "out" post spot. I used about 2 or 3 pounds to blow CO2 directly into my beer which I felt would displace the oxygen. It bubbled like an air stone for about 20 to 30 seconds. Then I disconnected it and put the posts in the proper spot. After that I put 25lbs of pressure on the keg to check for leaks then depressurized it, which should have purged the oxygen out of the air space. From there I put 15lbs of pressure on the keg and set it aside to await it's spot in the kegorator. That was a few weeks ago, Friday I had friends over and we emptied my APA so I put this keg in to chill. Saturday I tapped it and the carbonation was a little week but definitely drinkable. Now I am using this process on all of the beers I keg.

By the way, I fixed the air in the auto siphon problem with a small hose clamp. And I lived happily ever after.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: quicker way to carbonate kegs

Post by Kealia »

I bought an adaptor from my LHBS a while back that connects to the OUT post. It is a QD connector with a barb fitting meant to push CO2 in through that post, down through the dip tube and then up through the beer. I connected it once and it seemed to have a leak so I've never used it again. It was something that the owner of the LHBS created himself and maybe it wasn't put together just right - or maybe I didn't use it right. I dunno.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've been doing this myself for some time now on my ball lock corny kegs. I found that the grey gas connectors fit, and seal tight, on the beer out post although the push lock ring won't snap tight. Before filling the keg I purge it with Co2 through the beer out connector while the lid is off, since Co2 is heavier than room air it will stay inside the keg even with the lid off. I use a 4 foot length of vinyl tubing from the fermentor spigot to the bottom of the keg to fill it with beer. Then at 25%, 50% and 75% full I add a little more Co2 and watch as it bubbles up through the beer. Cold crashing the fermentor at 36F before filling the keg also lets me have fully carbonated beer in about 7-10 days.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

If I have to get to it quicker than the normal set and forget method, I have a piece of gas tubing with a quick disconnect, all of my CO2 tanks have qd's to move seemlessly from one place or operation to another, and put a black liquid ball lock connector on the other end of the gas hose. No worries about it popping off or leaking.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013