Haztoberfest results

Let everyone know your competition results and any lessons learned

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Haztoberfest results

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I entered a couple in this competition that was held last Saturday in Erie, Pa., no medals but.... Brown Ale scored 37, English Amber scored 34 and sent a Wheat entered as an American Wheat should have maybe entered as German Heffe scored 26. The Brown is the same recipe as the Bronze that scored 32 from the Spring except for using tap water and treating this time around. So water really made a difference. One of our club members from the local HBC judged my Brown Ale asked him what it took to medal in the American Ales said there were a few beers that scored over 40! So I am absolutely happy with the results of these. Next up Son of Brewzilla at Fat Heads Nov 7th, entered the Brown again and a Cali-Common, I volunteered to steward this one, will be an interesting day to see behind the curtain at a competition.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Re: Haztoberfest results

Post by Beer-lord »

Sounds like fun and most of those were very good scores. Keep up the great brewing!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Thanks Paul, I was very surprised to see such high scores. Just goes to show what adjusted water can bring to a beer. Plus I am saving about $6.00 per recipe not buying spring water anymore.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Great scores Steve, congratulations. :clink:
I'm interested to hear about your Wheat. As I've found out, the wrong category can can hurt a good beer.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good scored Steve. I entered the Four Point Pale Ale in this and it scored a 31. I'll take it.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Sounds like some solid beers you have there. Congrats on the scores and good luck in that next one!!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Big Congrats Steve!

Great Job!

Good luck in the next one as well!

:cool:
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Inkleg wrote:Great scores Steve, congratulations. :clink:
I'm interested to hear about your Wheat. As I've found out, the wrong category can can hurt a good beer.
Thanks!!

Both judges picked up noticeable sour flavor, I don't detect any sour. Both lacking wheat malt flavor, I think I was at 50% wheat on this recipe. Both, wheat malt aroma, touch of perfume hop aroma. fruity esters. Both said they picked up lacto type infection, hiding some sweetness in the background. One judge was certified, one was a provisional who almost word for word entered the same comments of the certified. I put this beer right up there with any of the commercial craft Summer Ales that I had tried this summer, I get a nice somewhat clove/banana, no sour at all. If anything I thought I would have heard more not to style for American Wheat and more to German Wheat. I'll be sending this along with the others.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Glad to hear your feedback from the judges. You have to take all competitions and judges with a grain of salt.

It's amazing what a change in category or even a play on words will do for your beer. The last beer I had in a competion was a Spice Beer. I labeled it a Chocolate Coffee Porter and was surprized that it didnt' do as well as I was sure it would. It came back with comments such as the Chocolate was more Cocoa like than Chocolate and that the coffee was a more upfront than the Chocolate...ok. Sent it out a week later to another comp, same beer bottled at the same time and labeled it a Porter with Coffee and Cocoa. It scored 12 points higher. Again, it was a different comp and possibly different conditions but that play on words changed the perception of the beer. Something I have leaned is you really need to paint the picture for what they will experience in the beer they are judging.
Brew Strong My Friends...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Congrats! Good scores there.

RE: the wheat - what wheat yeast did you use? Some wheat beer yeast depending on fermentation temps and wort composition (IE amount of residual sweetness determines if you notice it or not, IE too many IBUs can bring it to the front, where low IBUs mask it, crystal malt can mask it, etc.) can produce a low level of tartness that tastes a lot like a very mild lacto infection. The way you know it's not is that it never changes, it does not get stronger over time. A real live lacto infection will.

Since you do not taste it, and the judges do, I would bet that it's what I'm describing. Especially if you don't start tasting it at some point and/or you start tasting it and then note it getting stronger over some weeks. Your beer is probably just barely at the perception threshold of it.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Pulled the recipe on this, it wasn't 50% wheat, only 30% but here is the recipe
5.5 gallon batch

5.2 lbs 2 Row Malt
3 lbs White Wheat Malt
.75 lbs Honey Malt
.5 lbs Carapils
.25 lbs Acidulated Malt
2 grams Gypsum
1.5 grams Calcium Chloride

.5 oz Cascade 7.1% AA @ 60
.5 oz Cascade 7.1% AA @ 30
1 oz Cascade 7.1% AA @ 5
.5 oz Dried Lemon Peel @ flameout. and into primary for 7 days
1 Packet WB-06 Safbrew Wheat Yeast

Mash temp was low 148,( brain fart, forgot to put the manifold in the mash cooler ) fermented at 68 degrees for 3 weeks
OG 1.041
FG 1.002

As I was typing the list of ingredients, which was necessary on the entry for this competition, it started to strike me why they were perceiving some of these flavors, one being that it attenuated to the dry side and the tartness from lemon peel and maybe some from the acidulated malt.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Normally I would say that that much honey malt would cover up the acidulated malt, as it wasn't really that much.

But mashing so low in temp that you end up at 1.002 with ~30 IBUs, now that's enough IBUs to kill whatever residual sweetness was left by the honey malt. Which isn't as much as you think, because at least a whole gravity point of it fermented out if you got to 1.002. Probably more, assuming any complex sugar was left from the other stuff like the carapils. Honey malt is not like crystal malt, it has enzymes, and it can convert (it can actually self convert like Munich) and it will ferment out a good bit when mashed at lower temps.

And WB-06 is one of those yeasts that sometimes produces a noticeably tart beer, especially if IBUs are high and FG is low. I would not use WB-06 in an American style wheat beer, which is what your recipe otherwise suggests. I think it is better for more traditional low IBU wheat beers. It tastes best with German/French (spicy/floral/earthy) hops IMHO in a beer mashed at temps that will leave some residual sweetness. Or American derivatives like Santium or Mt. Hood or the like. I'd just use S-05 in an American wheat if I was picking a dry yeast.

So between all that, yes, if I were to taste your beer I'd probably think it's a bit tart too.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I did this recipe last summer, minus the water treatment and acidulated malt and mashed at 152 used S-05 and it just about came out like Leinie Summer Shandy. With this batch it was nowhere near that taste, but was very comparable to the Craft Summer Ale that I had tried just a bit drier than the commercial ones.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
PaperKittenBrewingCo

Post by PaperKittenBrewingCo »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:I entered a couple in this competition that was held last Saturday in Erie, Pa., no medals but.... Brown Ale scored 37, English Amber scored 34 and sent a Wheat entered as an American Wheat should have maybe entered as German Heffe scored 26. The Brown is the same recipe as the Bronze that scored 32 from the Spring except for using tap water and treating this time around. So water really made a difference. One of our club members from the local HBC judged my Brown Ale asked him what it took to medal in the American Ales said there were a few beers that scored over 40! So I am absolutely happy with the results of these. Next up Son of Brewzilla at Fat Heads Nov 7th, entered the Brown again and a Cali-Common, I volunteered to steward this one, will be an interesting day to see behind the curtain at a competition.
:clink:
Hey there, I came across this thread from a google search looking up articles on this years Haztoberfest. I took 2nd place in American Ales at Haztoberfest this year with my Pearl Road Pale Ale. A pale ale mainly of two row and specialty grains with cascade hops. It scored a 41 so I can only imagine what 1st place scored. Congrats on your scores! Those are all great. I live down the road from Fat Heads so I will be stewarding the morning session. Looking forward to meeting you.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

:bbwelc: PaperKittenBrewingCo and Congrats on your 2nd place win! That is truly awesome. Please take a moment to make a "proper" introduction in the Assimilation section of the forum so everyone has a chance to say hello and welcome you. Looking forward to hearing more about your brewing. :guzzle:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged