No More FruitFlys!

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

No More FruitFlys!

Post by BigPapaG »

Finally! A smart, green, pro-active approach to combat the dreaded fruitfly!

Moderators: I put this in the Basic Equipment Forum because I truly believe it might be for those of us who suffer this annual plague! (Feel free to move it if I have over-dramatised this issue) :D

Check this out, one of my local boys does good...!

This needs your support if you suffer the seemingly endless onslaught of fruitflys annually...

ActiceGreen FruitFly Trap

:cool:
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: No More FruitFlys!

Post by Gymrat »

I founda cheaper way 2 years ago and it really works. cut up an apple and put it in a bowl with balsamic vinager on it. Put suran wrap over it and poke pinholes in it. The flyes will go in to feed and breed but they cant get back out. Your home will be fruit fly free in a day or two.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I put cider vinegar in a small bowl, then add a couple drips of liquid dish soap. The dish soap breaks the surface tension and the fly can longer walk on top. Then it sinks to the bottom. No more fruit flys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Vinegar and apple type stuff has never worked for me. I don't know why but my fruit flies seem to know its a trap.

I might need to try this thing.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Mashani...do you add the dish soap and mix it up?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Yeah. They just ignore it. Other more interesting stuff in my house I guess. Maybe they like to munch on Brett.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

So, I too have tried all of the recommended methods (both lore and Internet varieties)...

And it's true, most do work to some degree... Just not completely.

That is to say, it's not until mid-fall when they seem to finally seem to be eradicated!

I believe the reason is that many that crawl through the holes in the plastic wrap, simply crawl back out.

I know, I know, many say they aren't that smart or they can't find the holes again but I say that's rubbish!

They got in through the holes, didn't they?

If you are using solid bait, or if they don't fall in the 'drink' if you are using a liquid like vinegar or juice, they may find their way back out... After all, they walk on walls and ceilings so if they found the hole while right side up, they can find it again while upside down!

Why do I think this one is better?

Well, it uses a liquid (in addition to or in lieu of) just a solid bait... But more importantly, it pumps liquid up from the base like a fountain, hitting the top and causing the liquud to run down the sides this flushing the critters into the drink... For ten seconds at a time, every ten minutes, every hour every day!

Neat! Even the ones that don't want to drink get to go for the eternal swim.

Then when it's time, just open it up, dump the spent bait liquid and all the dead flys down the drain, rinse and refill. Sweet!

Disclaimer: I don't personally know the inventor, just that he's local and did some testing at one of my local nano brewerys... And I think it's neat and I think it will work better than whats already been tried.

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

All I know is the method I suggested cleaned them all out of my kitchen in a couple of days. And it wasn't cold yet.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Gymrat wrote:All I know is the method I suggested cleaned them all out of my kitchen in a couple of days. And it wasn't cold yet.
Very true, I'm sure Rog...

I just have not had that kind of experience here...

They come in with fruit, come in my old double hung windows in my 95 year old house...

They hang by my fermenters, my conditioning kegs... My beer glass!

And this product may not solve the problem... But I hope it can!

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Mine followed fruit in that I bought at the grocery store. I don't have them around the yard at all. There were a lot of them. All of them went for the fruit in the bowl, none left, no more came in because they weren't coming from my yard. If they were coming from a source at home it would be a different story I am sure.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

'Cept for one time ... fruit flies haven't been much of a problem in my brew closet.
The one time they were ... the batch was known as 'Fruit FlyPA'

---
EDIT: grammer [sic]
Last edited by HerbMeowing on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

BlackDuck wrote:I put cider vinegar in a small bowl, then add a couple drips of liquid dish soap. The dish soap breaks the surface tension and the fly can longer walk on top. Then it sinks to the bottom. No more fruit flys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, almost all the fruit flies go in. There are always more coming in though, they are ubiquitous in my area in late summer. At my work, we order up fruit fly traps from Staples for employee break room areas.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

September is horrible here. I go for a bike ride in the early evening and on my route end up going past lots of various fruit trees along the side of the road. With now over ripe/rotting fruit. I come home slathered with the critters. Why do swarms of fruit flies decide to always cross the road in front of me while going 20mph on my bike? I don't know. But they suck.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

mashani wrote:September is horrible here. I go for a bike ride in the early evening and on my route end up going past lots of various fruit trees along the side of the road. With now over ripe/rotting fruit. I come home slathered with the critters. Why do swarms of fruit flies decide to always cross the road in front of me while going 20mph on my bike? I don't know. But they suck.

chasing that d*mn chicken? :p
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe