No More FruitFlys!

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: No More FruitFlys!

Post by BlackDuck »

I think I just figured out the best fruit fly trap....it's an open glass of beer. I'm drinking a Stone Ruin Ten. I've picked out 5 fruit flys in my glass already. I don't even know where these bastards came from. I had out my trusty bowl of cider vinegar/dish soap out for 5 days and only caught one fly. I dumped the bowl two days ago. Now they seem to be coming in from two counties over to have a taste of my Ruin Ten.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

You know that is very interesting; when we were on our patio at the house in Texas the flies would be drawn to a glass of beer. You could not leave one un-attended.

I wonder if you took the same beer and boiled/evaporated all the alcohol off and set both glasses out what would happen.

I learned from my mom to put a dish of beer out in the garden to trap/kill snails and slugs.

Curious
Sibling Brewers
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I use saran wrap with pinholes covering balsamic vinegar and cursing, cursing seems to help too.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Brewbirds wrote:You know that is very interesting; when we were on our patio at the house in Texas the flies would be drawn to a glass of beer. You could not leave one un-attended.

I wonder if you took the same beer and boiled/evaporated all the alcohol off and set both glasses out what would happen.

I learned from my mom to put a dish of beer out in the garden to trap/kill snails and slugs.

Curious
In one glass you would have happy drunk dead flies and in the other you would have unhappy dead flies. :cool:
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Whamolagan wrote:
Brewbirds wrote:You know that is very interesting; when we were on our patio at the house in Texas the flies would be drawn to a glass of beer. You could not leave one un-attended.

Curious
In one glass you would have happy drunk dead flies and in the other you would have unhappy dead flies. :cool:
:lol: :lol:

No fly should be allowed to feel happy period; I don't care if its in the jungle, on the dung heap, driving a horse crazy or invading my beer; I will vote for the candidate that promises to eradicate flies.
Sibling Brewers
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Brewbirds wrote:
Whamolagan wrote:

Curious
:lol: :lol:

No fly should be allowed to feel happy period; I don't care if its in the jungle, on the dung heap, driving a horse crazy or invading my beer; I will vote for the candidate that promises to eradicate flies.
Just stating the facts ma'am :flame:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Zombie thread resurrection because... THEIR BAAAAAAACK.

:throw:

:flame:

:fencing:

:starwars:

:splat: