A Quick Hops Question

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

A Quick Hops Question

Post by Chuck N »

I scored about a pound of fresh hops a few weeks ago (almost a month). I have used some already in a hop stand and now as a dry hop. The rest would be sitting in my fridge until I brewed again in a couple of weeks. I'm afraid they would spoil by that time so I put them into a dehydrator to dry them out.

Was this a wise thing to do?
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: A Quick Hops Question

Post by bpgreen »

Dehydrating them will help them last. If your dehydrator lets you adjust the temperature, use a fairly low setting (85-90F). Temperatures that are too high can reduce the AA% of the hops.

Edited to correct grammar mistake.
Last edited by bpgreen on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Out of curiosity, can you freeze fresh hops, and then re-use them like "fresh hops" later? I would think you can, since you can freeze pellet hops. ??
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I would think that a Food Saver type machine would allow you to store them in amounts you are likely to use for freezing much like commercial packaging. Oxygen being the main enemy.

bpgreen also has a point if you go the dehydrator method. If the machine gets past the flash point temps and/or damages the Alpha Acids they could end up being very vegital in flavor.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

From what I've read, you can freeze them wet, but they may become mushy when you thaw them (freezing causes the water to expand, which bursts cell walls).

As brew birds pointed out, vacuum sealing is always a good idea. It keeps them away from oxygen and also compresses them, which forces oxygen out.

The three biggest enemies of hops are light, oxygen and heat, so do whatever you can to limit exposure to these three (that's why I vacuum seal and freeze mine).

After thinking about it, I'm not sure dehydrating them really helps in preservation if you're also freezing them. Dehydrating is probably most helpful in keeping them from molding at room or refrigerator temperature.

Edited to fix autocorrect.
Last edited by bpgreen on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Too late. I done did it already. I Googled the question and got pretty much what bpgreen had said. Unfortunately my dehydrator is just one of those cheapies with the hair dryer built into it. So what I did was run the dehydrator for half an hour, turn it off for half an hour and so on.

Also, I over estimated the amount of hops I had to start with. Thought it was over half a pound when I was starting but they were actually only a little under five ounces. Ended up with just a little over one ounce.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Chuck N wrote:Too late. I done did it already. I Googled the question and got pretty much what bpgreen had said. Unfortunately my dehydrator is just one of those cheapies with the hair dryer built into it. So what I did was run the dehydrator for half an hour, turn it off for half an hour and so on.

Also, I over estimated the amount of hops I had to start with. Thought it was over half a pound when I was starting but they were actually only a little under five ounces. Ended up with just a little over one ounce.
The first couple of years I had hops, I used a cheap dehydrator. I switched when my brother told me he was using far fewer hops with his new dehydrator and woot! had a high end dehydrator at a decent price at the same time. As with many things I bought for brewing, I've found many other uses.

I probably shouldn't add this, but my haul after dehydrating is a bit more than a pound and a half (9 bines total).
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I guess hops is the only thing brewers would use a dehydrator for so, since the subject seems to already be in the right place, any of you guys want to post pics/reviews of the one you use or wish you had?

Sibling Brewers
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Brewbirds wrote:I guess hops is the only thing brewers would use a dehydrator for so, since the subject seems to already be in the right place, any of you guys want to post pics/reviews of the one you use or wish you had?

I don't grow my own hops but I do have a multi-tray blown air dehydrator that I use for drying fruits and making jerky.

:cool:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I air dry my hops in a mesh bag. Under a basket on a wire table in clear weather, or in the shed.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Brewbirds wrote:I guess hops is the only thing brewers would use a dehydrator for so, since the subject seems to already be in the right place, any of you guys want to post pics/reviews of the one you use or wish you had?

I bought my vacuum sealer thinking it was only for brew supplies, but I ended up using it for so many things that I bought one for my mom.

I haven't found quite as many uses for the dehydrator, and even some of those are brew related (drying spent grains to use in cooking, for example). But I also use it to keep a steady temperature for making natto and tempeh.

I bought this, but for a lot less money because I got it on woot!

Before that, I used this. It doesn't have a fan or any temperature control and it has a much lower capacity. But it's also a lot less money. If I only had one bine, I might have stayed with this, but with 9 bines (only 7 really producing), it makes sense to have something better.

I've been really happy with the one I have now.

Here is a link to another one with digital controls (closer in price to what I paid, but with fewer features). Costco has the Sedona for a price similar to Amazon, which might make sense if you have a Costco membership and no prime.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Thanks bp

I scored a food saver at the flea market for five bucks a few weeks ago and agree how useful it is.

I have a big freezer so I can by meats and produce in bulk or on sale and this really helps in repackaging, I love it.

I've been thinking about a dehydrator for drying fresh herbs and fruits that don't freeze well.

Sibling Brewers
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

A little late to the conversation but I picked up a Nesco Food Dehydrator from Bed Bath and Beyond. I also got 4 extra trays for it. It worked really well for dehydrating my hops as long as you don't put the hops on the top tray. The thermostat says 95 f but the top tray always seems to sit right around 100 f while the others stayed in the 90f - 95f range. I think it's just too close to the heating element. It also does a really good job drying herbs from my garden if I end up with more than I can use. I tried the fruit peels recipes and they taste good but have a really weird texture so most people wouldn't eat them.