Finally back with a Munich Helles

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Finally back with a Munich Helles

Post by Pudge »

Ive been a homebrewer since '08, but haven't brewed since October of '14. That surprise Columbus Day heart attack was the biggest curveball of my life. Two operations, three stents, and several months of getting things back in order have FINALLY led me back to doughing in at 5:30 this morning on a nice little Munich Helles.

11 lbs Pilsner
.5 lb Munich
.125 lb Biscuit
.125 lb Melanoidin

.5 oz Magnum (12.4%) 60 min
Mash 152

Two smack packs Wyeast 2206 (no starter) with Wyeast nutrient. Pitch at 48 and ferment at 50.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Finally back with a Munich Helles

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Welcome back to brewing!!!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Welcome back to brewing!!!
^This^

That Bavarian Lager is a nice choice of yeast.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yea...welcome back to brewing. And it sounds like you should also get a welcome back to a healthier life. Glad to know that you better.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's a long time away from brewing but it's easier than getting back on a bike so I'm sure the beer will be great.
If you call a heart attack a curve ball, you are one tough cookie. Happy brewing and best wishes to continued good health.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Columbus Day has gained new meaning that's for sure. Not sure what I'm going to do this time around, but the one year mark is coming up. I'm thinking a 10+ mile run in the morning just to stick it to heart disease and finish the day with a local craft beer or three. There was a point I didn't think I'd see another year... damn glad I did :jumpy:
Inkleg wrote:
Dawg LB Steve wrote:Welcome back to brewing!!!
^This^

That Bavarian Lager is a nice choice of yeast.
I tried this strain out a 2-3 years ago just to do something different. Everybody uses W-34/70, Wyeast 2124, and whatever the White Labs equivalent is. It made a nice malty, full bodied beer just like the Wyeast site said. I reused that yeast for 4-5 more lagers that winter and noticed it tended to attenuate more with each generation. That was fine with me since I planned on finishing with a Traditional Bock and a Maibock. Those needed some solid attenuation. The Bock came in around 8.5% and took a first while the Maibock was a tick over 9% and got me a 3rd. I'm gonna do kinda the same thing this winter only minus the competition part.

Oh, first time out of the gates in a long time and lucked out... nailed my OG 1.052
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Pudge wrote: Oh, first time out of the gates in a long time and lucked out... nailed my OG 1.052
Luck had nothing to do with it.....it was skill. Once you know it, you never lose it. Good on ya!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Sounds delicious.

Glad you are back in the saddle!
Beer Warrior

Post by Beer Warrior »

I am almost in the same boat, due to marital issues and having an unwanted house guest (brother-in-law) I haven't brewed at my house, which is on the market due to the impending divorce, in at least a year. I have brewed with friends and all, but it is nice to just relax and brew a batch at your own place. Don't think that will happen for a good minute though. I do need to brew a lager for those days when you want a nice clean beer.
Twitter username is @MusicCityBrews
Facebook page is http://www.Facebook.com/MusicCityBrewSupply
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Pudge, haven't "known" you for long since you just arrived here but always glad to hear about somebody overcoming a health issue. Congrats to you!

Beer Warrior, sorry to hear about your troubles.

A toast to you both: :clink:
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

How about a 48 hr lag time?

That's why your supposed to do nice big old starters for lagers. It'll be fine. I'm confident in my cleaning/sanitizing and I've been down this road before. Nothing starts up quick at 48 degrees. The next few beers will have much larger pitches when I reuse this yeast cake. It'll need the cool temps to keep fermentation activity down and under control.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Glad to see you back at it Pudge. Probably felt great to get a brew session in.

I just heard someone explaining the lag time with lagers, it had to be a BN podcast or something. But anyway, since the wort it colder there's that co2/temperature thing that comes into play. The colder temps hold in more co2 and it takes longer to saturate the wort (beer since yeast is pitched). The co2 takes longer to come out of solution and therefor longer to see any airloc activity.

What is your normal lag time with lagers?
Brew Strong My Friends...
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Fresh pitch like that (no starter), 24 hrs or so. You make a good point, Kenny, about the sort holding more CO2.

Re pitches tend to take off quickly... Sometimes too quickly. I remember Jamil saying some lag time is beneficial but cannot remember exact why.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Even at high pitch rates, you will get 2-3 generations of growth after you pitch (anything more is a significant overpitch). How long each growth phase takes is temperature and yeast strain dependent, so lagers "lagging" a bit more even at high pitch rates makes sense, even if lager yeast doesn't mind the temps. And yeah, cold liquids can take up a lot more CO2, so even when active fermentation starts, it might delay visible signs of CO2 escaping.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I heard Dan Gordon once say as long as there is any oxygen present you will get yeast growth... to a reasonable point. Once the oxygen depletes, ferementation begins. That is the reason behind stir plates for starters. Paraphrasing here of course.

A well aerated wort should see some significant lag time then, right?