Fat Tire Hop Kitchen

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Fat Tire Hop Kitchen

Post by Stinkfist »

Tried this beer tonight, man was it nasty.... Has amazing reviews and I cannot understand.. I love hoppy beers but this was just disgusting, drank 3 sips before I just gave up... Sad but could not do it

Anyone else tried it? Liked it?
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Fat Tire Hop Kitchen

Post by mashani »

There are multiple hop kitchen beers. Which was it?

If it was Hop Tart, that's a sour beer. Do you like sours normally? That beer isn't high in IBUs at 30, but 30 IBUs + lacto = sketchy territory in my view. I've never seen it around here to try it, and I'm unsure if I would. Normally sour and bitter don't mix so well. If I made a lacto beer with late hops, the hops would be nothing but dry hops, and it would be about 5 IBUs. You don't need much bittering with sour.

The Super IPA and Oatmeal IPA sound good to me on paper...
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

It was the super IPA and it was just terrible...not sure what kind of hops were in it but they did go well together, maybe it was just a bad keg? The place I was at opened a few months ago so I doubt it was the lines...

If that is what it was supposed to taste like personally I think they failed
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

mashani wrote:\That beer isn't high in IBUs at 30, but 30 IBUs + lacto = sketchy territory in my view.
Agreed. I love sours (probably my favorite range of beer styles right now), and I like IPAs (probably my favorite beer style 5 years ago), but every one of these "hopped sours" I've tried (with maybe one exception), I didn't care for.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Super IPA's description says hops are Amarillo, Columbus, Simcoe and Centennial. So it's basically the same hops as Pliney and/or Pliney the Younger.

Malts it says are:

Pale, C-80, Melanoidin, Acidulated, Carapils

Those hops do go together well. The C-80 is more of an English IPA like choice, but I can't imagine that it makes it taste horrible. Assuming they only used enough Acidulated to adjust their mash PH, it should not have any tartness on top of the 99 IBUs they state.

So if it was awful, then that's weird, and I might suspect a bad batch/keg/keg lines/god knows what? But who knows.

If you thought it smelled like cat pee, that was probably the Simcoe, and you might be a Simcoe hater then... I know folks who hate Simcoe for that reason. I don't, I like them, but it's one of those hops that some folks love and others hate. Have you had a know Simcoe beer before or brewed one?