Tangerine Porter

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Tangerine Porter

Post by MrBandGuy »

With all your talk of pumpkin porters, it reminded me that I wanted to brew up a tangerine Porter inspired by a local breweries one off about three years ago. I have a solid Porter recipe, chocolate, roasty goodness, but I have a question about adding the tangerine peel.

I know the brewery used tangerine peel, orange peel, and coriander. When googling, the recipe from Radical brewing adds everything at flameout, in similar amounts as below. I was thinking of going dry hop style, which is what I do with my Christmas brew.

I'm thinking 1 oz of tangerine, .5 oz of orange peel, and 1 oz of coriander.

What do you all think? Flameout or dry hop? Too much peel? Coriander too high?
BlackDuck

Re: Tangerine Porter

Post by BlackDuck »

I bet one of the reasons the brewery puts the peel in at flame out is that the hot wort will help extract some of the citrusy oils. If you know that you like theirs, why not try it the first time using their technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I wondered about the oils. That makes sense, but wouldn't the yeasties take some of the flavor away? And for clarity, the flameout idea came from this AHA recipe, not the brewery. I'm not sure what they do.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

I think BD is on point...

Adding at flameout seems good...

Unless you have a way of killing off any wild yeast, bacteria and mold spores... Then adding as a dry hop would be safe enough... The alcohol would be present and there would still be some brewing yeast left...

But without that, I would lean toward flameout myself as the hot wort would not only extract the oils but sanitize the peels as well.

The crushed corriander could go in at T-10 as that seems to be ok when brewing witbeers...

My thoughts anyway, YMMV.

:cool:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I did a lemon saison and added the zest of 5 lemons at flameout and really think I should have used more but since you don't need nor want an abundance of tangerine, I think you should be fine.
I've read that it's best not to add zest in any longer than the last 5 minutes or you don't get what you want out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Right on! Thanks guys! Figured a few of you have done this kind of thing before.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Another option, which I have done, is to put the rind (or spice, or fruit, or vanilla beans or whatever) in a little bit of vodka in a jar. Do it when you brew your batch. Put a lid on it... shake it up every day. Then when primary fermentation settles down and you would "dry hop", instead pitch the strained liquid from the jar. Basically making your own pure extract. Don't need to worry about infection that way and it works great. Just kicks up your abv a little bit.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Good to know! i think I'll try the 10 min Coriander and peels at knockout. I'm sure it'll be delightful either way.

Side note, never used coriander before. Is 1 oz too much, or no?
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

How much corriander?

It depends...

- Is it store-bought, brewer packaged from the LHBS or fresh dried from your garden? In order of favor and freshness, your garden will normally yield a fresher product overall, but the brewer packaged stuff tends to be somewhat consistent. Store-bought can be a gamble (sometimes)
Note: Many Asian markets carry a football-shaped variety that tends to be stronger, more aromatic and more flavorful... Use less of that...

- Do you like corriander?

- Do you plan to manually crack it, crush it with a rolling pin or grind it in a coffee grinder?
Ground will be stronger than crushed, while cracked (like cracked grains) will yield the least flavor and aroma.

For 5 gallons, I generally weigh out anywhere from 5-14 grams (up to a half ounce) of whole corriander, then manually crack it. I have seen recipes for witbiers that call for one ounce and have heard of folks going as high as an ounce and one half... Seems like too much to me, YMMV.

Note: I always err on the side of caution when adding spices of any kind to my brews. Take notes... If you want more next time... That's easy... Use more... If you want less this time... Sorry for your luck!

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Only thing I will warn is that too much corriander can start to taste "soapy" for lack of a better word to describe it. So it's best to err on low side if your going to err. The threshold of this might vary from person to person. Just like some folks hate coriander leaves AKA Cilantro in even the tiniest amounts and other can chew up a whole bunch of it and think it's tasty.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I've made a Blue Moon clone with 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz, and 1 oz. Latest that I bottled Friday was 3/4. I think that may be good based on the taste, but I liked 1 oz also. This time I pulverized it in the coffee grinder.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Ok, cool. Thanks guys. I'll go with 1/2 oz. manually crushed. Much appreciated!
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

FWIW Another thing you may consider, if you are the tinkering type, is making teas before you brew to see if you prefer light vs. heavy treatments of flavor additions in that recipe.

You may also want to explore essential oils (much like Mashani's homemade version) instead of rind on the citrus to avoid any unpleasant bitterness or volatilizing the flavor away at to high a wort temp. I'm pretty sure the citrus oils are kind of low so even at flame out the wort might be to hot.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

This one is a week into fermentation and chugging along. For the record, I went with flameout and 1/2 oz coriander hand crushed. I'm going for a background note, so we'll see in a few weeks.
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

That sounds about what I did with my summer ale with orange. I came out with a hint of the orange and not overpowering. I would say just right.