BIAB Elecric Brewing Sys.

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

BIAB Elecric Brewing Sys.

Post by JohnSant »

I just checked my LHBS here in Tulsa for brewing systems High Gravity has a BIAB Electric Brewing System that's a 120V sys and has an EBC SV controller, Chugger SS Pmp, Recirc Sys w/spray head. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this system? I know that Screwy got one of their brewing systems ( although not the same) and if I remember he like it very much. I read the reviews on their other system for a 220V system and the two reviews gave high praise.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc ... 9p4652.htm

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc ... 9p4647.htm
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: BIAB Elecric Brewing Sys.

Post by JohnSant »

No comments so I think i'll have to go to LHBS to see what this will consist of. Really not sure if its the system I want, but need to check it out. The real question is if I use LME, DME or other additions how the coil on the bottom of the kettle will affect the stirring of said additions or allow it to fall to bottom and scorch under the coil? This seems to be the most economical of all the systems which will allow me to continue to brew indoors and step up to 5 gal. batches and do it with a BIAB which I have come to like doing. :flag:
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Sorry, John I don't know much about the High Gravity systems other then the guys from Basic Brewing Radio really likes his. Of course I don't know how much of that is because they are a sponsor of his podcast, although his has pretty good reputation. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I think James at Basic Brewing says he still enjoys brewing the 'old' way and that for his bigger beers, he still uses his old system as he seems to feel that his new toy (from High Gravity) hasn't done well above the 1.070-1.075 level.
They are nice systems and I've read many who brag about their customer service.

I suggest you email James and ask him questions or even ask if you could call him and discuss his thoughts. I've sent him numerous emails over the last few years and he's been very quick to reply and seems to be a very friendly person.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

JohnSant wrote:I just checked my LHBS here in Tulsa for brewing systems High Gravity has a BIAB Electric Brewing System that's a 120V sys and has an EBC SV controller, Chugger SS Pmp, Recirc Sys w/spray head. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this system? I know that Screwy got one of their brewing systems ( although not the same) and if I remember he like it very much. I read the reviews on their other system for a 220V system and the two reviews gave high praise.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc ... 9p4652.htm

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc ... 9p4647.htm
I've been brewing on mine for over a year now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The EBC-SV controller that I have drives a 220volt 30amp 4500watt electric heating element though, the only 110volt outlets are for powering the Chugger pump and a spare unswitched outlet. I wasn't even aware they now offered a 120volt model too.

Can you post a link to the new system, I'd like to review it some more. By the way the High Gravity folks offer about the best support you could ever want for their systems, I even spoke directly with Dave the owner and he is very helpful.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Louie, Beer-Lord; thanks for the comeback. Been looking at a lot of brew systems and what I've seen is impressive but cost is always a big factor when buying, so with shipping and so forth I see the best bang for the buck is in my home town (no shipping cost). I however do want a good system and just wanted to see if any BORG member had some experience with a sys like this. As with most new brewers I want to step up my brewing, I've done a few BIAB 5 gal. batches but they seemed lacking in efficiency even with double crush and extending mash time to 90 min. and with sparge. Thanks Beer-Lord for the info on James @ Basic brewing I'll give it a go need some info from outside of High Gravity.
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Screwy if you'll check out the first post and first Link that should put you to the 120V sys. I've been keeping up with your brewing adventures with your sys. but just wanted to see if there was and first hand knowledge with 120V form the Borg members.

Just checked that should be the second Link.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

JohnSant wrote:Screwy if you'll check out the first post and first Link that should put you to the 120V sys. I've been keeping up with your brewing adventures with your sys. but just wanted to see if there was and first hand knowledge with 120V form the Borg members.

Just checked that should be the second Link.
Thank you @JohnSant. I can see where doing 1.060 and higher batches are challenging using a 2,250 watt heating element though. I can tell you that for high gravity beers I am limited to brewing five gallon batches in my 64 quart kettle.

I'm going to add this system to an article I have in the works about counter top brewing systems like PicoBrew, the Grainfather and Unibräu. If only there were systems available to us five years ago...
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Thanks Screwy I plan pulling the trigger on this in November once I start getting my SS check(shusss :whistle: don't want the SWMBO to know she gets all my money as is, and has for the last 42 yrs.) Don't know if you saw, but High Gravity also sells the system w/out the recirc which is about $200 cheaper.