Winter Warmer-up'r

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Winter Warmer-up'r

Post by FrozenInTime »

What say y'all for a Winter IPA? I have all ingredients on hand, trying to use up what I have. Thanks

7 lbs 13.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
6.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.55 oz Admiral [14.75 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
0.55 oz Goldings, East Kent - Boil 20.0 min
0.37 oz Sovereign - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6
0.28 oz Sovereign - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

0.14 oz Admiral - Dry Hop 18
0.14 oz Goldings, East Kent - Dry Hop Day 18

Guess I should add it's a 2.75 gallon batch.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Winter Warmer-up'r

Post by mashani »

I've never used or seen Admiral or Sovereign hops. So I have no idea what to expect there.

When I think winter, I think darker/malty, so the 60L/English vibe sounds good to me, even if it offends the sensibilities of west coast IPA folks. You could dry hop/late hop with a lot more Goldings then that though. It's pretty hard to use too much Goldings.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Both are U.K. Varieties...

Admiral: Orangy, citrusy

Sovereign: Soft, earthy, fruity, lemony...

I like where you are going with this FIT...

I also agree, it you have more Goldings, that's good too, but even if not, what you have should compliment the Admiral and Sovereign nicely!

Got any Coriander? :D

I like the C60 level, but I think you are a bit heavy on the CaraPils...

Looks like a big beer, 05 will do it pretty cleanly... 04, Windsor or Notty would be good choices as well but I think the 05 will provide a clean profile that allows the hops to play off the crystal well.

Good job, let us know how it tastes!

:cool:
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

BigPapaG wrote: Got any Coriander? :D

Looks like a big beer, 05 will do it pretty cleanly... 04, Windsor or Notty would be good choices as well but I think the 05 will provide a clean profile that allows the hops to play off the crystal well.
Actually, I do have some coriander, u think that would bring something nice to the party?

I was thinking I was high on the Cara, I will drop it down some. This is a take-off of an English IPA RCE we did with notty and marris otter. I don't have access to either of them at the moment so I wanted to do this as a 7~8 ABV (american?) IPA with what I have a lot of. It was the first time I had used those hops and I liked them.

Thanks for the input guys.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

FrozenInTime wrote:
BigPapaG wrote: Got any Coriander? :D

Actually, I do have some coriander, u think that would bring something nice to the party?

I was thinking I was high on the Cara, I will drop it down some. This is a take-off of an English IPA RCE we did with notty and marris otter. I don't have access to either of them at the moment so I wanted to do this as a 7~8 ABV (american?) IPA with what I have a lot of. It was the first time I had used those hops and I liked them.

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm just thinkin' the Coriander might add a bit of Citrus reinforcement to the hops...

Optional, I'm sure!

:cool: