Just chill, man.

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Just chill, man.

Post by alb »

Ok, so I tried again. And you were right, I learned. I did a no-sparge full boil batch yesterday. Actually it was a BIAB, since I used a bag instead of the false bottom. I had to mash in my cooler because thanks to Screwy's BIAB calculator, I knew I would have overflowed my 9-gal boiling kettle.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/2015/04/ ... lator.html :thanks:

Everything went much more smoothly this time but I still ended up light on my gravity, fixed with some DME. I also ended up under-volume. 2 reasons: First, I ended up doing a 90-minute boil instead of 60 because by eyeballing the kettle I actually thought I was over-volume. Apparently not. Second, after chilling with an immersion chiller, I had a HUGE cold break. So I took out the chiller and whirlpooled, waited 15 minutes, and the wort was wonderfully clear. Except the cold break was loose at the bottom of the kettle and I lost more than the usual amount of wort with it. I know, cold break isn't necessarily bad but it's a lot of gunk in a conical fermenter. I like clear wort. I like clear beer.

So, if I got a counterflow chiller so the cooling is outside the kettle, would that help? Or does the cold break just stay in the wort as it runs through the chiller then, and still end up turbid?
Last edited by alb on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Just chill, man.

Post by mashani »

As far as I am aware, with straight up use of a counterflow chiller, the break is just flowing through the thing and into your fermenter.

You would need to use the chiller to recirculate it into a vessel other than your fermenter and whirlpool it in that vessel anyways to get the break to drop out.

It's the same with a plate chiller if you don't have some sort of filter system, or a brite tank setup.

In any case I've had no trouble with turbid wort not dropping out clear in my LBCs. I just sometimes have to do the old LBK trick and stick shims under the front legs to keep the extra trub out of my spigots if there is a lot of it and it "overflows beyond the cone" as such.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

PROTIP:
Next time you're short on clear wort for the fermentor ... put the kettle trub in the fridge overnight.

The fill level on both 1/2G containers was turbid trub 12 hours prior.
Over 1 QT clear wort was recovered and added (post-short boil; cooled) to fermentor the day Hi-K fell.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Yes, I can attest to that. The "wit juice" that I made and froze is very turbid. The batch that I had defrosted and left half of it in the fridge, cleared nicely like the pics above.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

As far as the pre-boil volume, I never eyeball it. I know I'm going to lose about a gallon during a 60-minute boil, so I've got that going for me. But I measured out gallon increments in my brew kettle and took a dowel and notched it at every gallon. Now I know pretty much what my pre-boil volume is. It's worked out very well for me.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I actually have the gallons marked with a sharpie on the outside of the kettle, but maybe my depth perception is off. The notched stick is a good idea, I'll try that.

I calculate and calculate but the actual values of most everything I do ends up different than expected. I guess math gives me problems. See what I did there? Math? Problems? :lol:

Actually, I can hold my own with math. But it doesn't make my life any easier. :blink:
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

FedoraDave wrote:As far as the pre-boil volume, I never eyeball it. I know I'm going to lose about a gallon during a 60-minute boil, so I've got that going for me. But I measured out gallon increments in my brew kettle and took a dowel and notched it at every gallon. Now I know pretty much what my pre-boil volume is. It's worked out very well for me.
I read everything after "I've got that going for me" in Bill Murray's voice.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Water/wort will expand when boiling and shrink when chilling. Keep that in mind when eyeballing kettle volumes. Don't know what measurable percentage it can be, just something I've notice in my own pots.

The Great Trub exBEERiment might change the way you look at trub into the fermenter.
I did 11 gallons of an ESB, the first fermenter received almost all the trub the other very little. Pouring each side by side now there is no difference in clarity.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Inkleg wrote:
The Great Trub exBEERiment might change the way you look at trub into the fermenter.
Huh, look at that. Thanks, Inkleg.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

You can easy get an accurate measure of how much pre-boil wort is needed in the kettle by using:
1) a ruler / yard stick and
2) the equation to calculate the volume of a cylinder.

---
Numerator = desired pre-boil volume (US gallons) * 231 (cubic inches per US gallon)
Denominator = Pi * radius ^2

Wort depth (inches) = (numerator / denominator) * 1.04 (accounts for 4% volume loss from cooling)
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I prep water the night before a brew day to lighten the work load a bit when brewing. I also convert that needed volume to liters and use my 2L flask to measure it out. Overall, it makes things a tick more accurate without geeking out.

6 gallon recipes with the intent to collect 5 gallons of wort keeps me from worring about leaving any behind.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Pretty much what I do. Many times I have the grains crushed and hops measured the night before as well. Things seem to go smoother that way.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black