How many people grow their own hops?

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

How many people grow their own hops?

Post by duff »

I have Cascade plant growing in a container on my balcony. I tried to get some pictures but my phone appears to be confused by all the different hop cones and leaves so it can't figure out what to focus on and then just gives up. I'll try again in a little bit.

When I get some more space I would really like to have at least another plant. I would like to try a noble hop style if possible. Maybe Saaz.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: How many people grow their own hops?

Post by Crazy Climber »

SWMBO started some organic garden boxes in our yard. Southern exposure, great soil, located up against the house - it would be the ideal spot for a trellis to grow hops. We're talking about trying it, possibly next spring.

I don't expect to become self-sufficient by any means; just gonna try it for the fun of it. Something that we both can enjoy (her: the growing, me: the harvest) -- it's all good.

No idea what variety I'd try. I love Simcoe, but that's out of the question due to proprietary issues. Probably something similar, I guess.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

I have been doing some very slow research on this and next year will be my year to start. Planning out the small site now, pulley system, fence (to keep dogs safe) etc.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

I have tried. Unfortunately some of my neighbors love them!! The last straw was watching a wild turkey dig the up and devour the rhizomes!!
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I want to someday but I'm still trying to figure out the soil. Last year, even during the draught, it was excellant, this year... not so good.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I wish I could but I've just got awful luck growing things in pots in my condo. I can't put anything into the ground directly. Until we move into a house with its own yard, I'm not gonna try.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

gwcr

Post by gwcr »

On my list for Spring 2014! :banana:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

lol have about 12 acres developed and 10 in the waiting. When putting up the first 5 I am sure that people must have thought the telephone company got lazy and planted all their poles in one location like the pizza flyer guy that dumps 50 in your mailbox. One thing I must stress to anyone putting in more than a couple is to use quality, disease free plants. A farmer down the road got some baddies and had to pull his entire crop at that crucial three year mark when they really start producing.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

:o Love to see some pics of the operation Yooper. What kind of yield do you get from 12 acres?
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

There are 5 maybe 6 people, max, that grow their own hops. :)

Monty
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

Wow. 12 acres puts my one plant to shame.

For as difficult as container growing hops is supposed to be my Cascade was practically trouble free last year and this year I thought it died during the high heat and humidity when the mushrooms tried to take over the soil but it bounced back.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

gwcr wrote::o Love to see some pics of the operation Yooper. What kind of yield do you get from 12 acres?
Thats a bit difficult to answer. We sell some fresh for those seasonal beers and dry and pelletize the rest. Last years crop was 7 acres of 2 year old and 5 of 1 year old. The two year old stuff did quite well so should be kicking this year, so should have a better understanding of what is going on after the harvest. The mix of Cascade, Nugget, Chinook, and Centennial along with doing some experiments as to what will grow at the location further complicates the mix.

I will have to dig up some pictures for sure!
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

duff wrote:Wow. 12 acres puts my one plant to shame.

For as difficult as container growing hops is supposed to be my Cascade was practically trouble free last year and this year I thought it died during the high heat and humidity when the mushrooms tried to take over the soil but it bounced back.
Your one plant puts my no plants in my backyard to shame as well. I have all but given up as the stupid rabbits keep eating them over the past few years. Add to the that my backyard neighbour is a cop means no "crop damage" hunting season for me.