Gleaneagles Maris Otter

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Gleaneagles Maris Otter

Post by Beer-lord »

Was at the LHBS today grabbing some Pilsner malt for Friday's Lemon Saison and thinking about some other grains to buy to use on future brews as special malts and was asked if I ever brewed with Glenealges MO. Nope, I usually get whatever MO they have and don't use it all that often.
I tasted a few and wow, what a difference between it and the standard they sell. I already have about 5 lbs of regular MO so I only got 3 of Gleneagles but I think that I might make an English/American IPA and use all the MO with some 2 row and American hops and enjoy the good, bready and malty backbone.
I bet that malt will make some good beer bread as well.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Gleaneagles Maris Otter

Post by mashani »

That's made by Crisp like other Crisp Maris Otter, from the same grain as far as I know - but it's floor malted in a century+ old building in the "old world" way instead of the "modern" way.

None of my LHBS's have that variety, but MoreBeer sells it and I get some when I want Maris Otter grains when I place an order. Their Maris Otter extract is also made from Crisp, but I don't know if it's the Glen Eagles type or not.

EDIT: In my experience floor malted European varieties usually have a more robust/fresh flavor. It is always worth getting some if you have a beer that they work in, if you want something "extra". There is some really nice Floor malted Pilsner and Czech lager malts that are great tasting made by Weyermann. But the trade off is that they do tend to be less modified then their modern counterparts, so you do need to be more careful mashing them with adjuncts.