How does this look? OG/FG?

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MattKnox

How does this look? OG/FG?

Post by MattKnox »

Ok guys Im still new to brewing but I have some ingredients left around the house so thought I would do a partial mash. I'm really not sure where I should get my numbers for OG/FG so I really hope I can get your guys help.

2 lbs 2 row
2.5 Pilsner LME
.5 lb flaked maize
.5 carapils
.25 crystal 20L
.4 cascade 60 min
.4 cascade 5 min

How does that look? This is a Mr. Beer size batch
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How does this look? OG/FG?

Post by RickBeer »

Download QBrew from www.screwybrewer.com and it gives you everything.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Just plugged your ingredients into Qbrew. Looks like the OG would be 1.082 with FG of 1.021. IBUs would be at 17.

This recipe looks very heavy on the malt or light on the hops (take your pick). It would also be about 8.0% abv.

It would be helpful if we knew what your goals were for this brew (style, abv, hoppy, malty, etc). If you can give us some more detail about what you are trying to get out of this one, it would be easier to help.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

From the ingredients you listed although you say you are new to brewing it appears you are already used to hop boils and base grains and are comfortable with them so I assume you are using a brewing software?

We have plugged left over ingredients into our software once and made quite a good beer but it still required adjustments, you may not use all of one item and may still need to add something else to get a good balanced beer.

So as the others have said what are you shooting for as a concept beer? :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

The goal of this is a medium bodied light colored amber ale/lager (if that makes sense). I would use a US05 yeast since I don't have a dedicated lager temp fermenter (I do use a swamp cooler).

I have done a few hop boils yes but they always end up way too hoppy for me. So thats why I was going lighter there. have used cascade mostly but tried cluster with them when trying a yuengling clone. So I was thinking more ale-ish with a slight hop to it. Maybe cluster as well I do have some left over for an aroma.

I have steeped before and just added lme. Had seen a video where instead of booster use a row plus crystal instead of mr beer booster.

I will download qbrew. Thanks guys for your help

Edit: I have done one all grain before, that is where the extra ingredients are from ( should have mentioned earlier my bad). So I don't know much about it at all. I am reading how to brew by john palmer but figured I may give a go.

Then again I have thought about giving a few mr beer recipes a go to see what I may enjoy and get more used to brewing. I am a confusing person lol.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

MattKnox wrote:Then again I have thought about giving a few mr beer recipes a go to see what I may enjoy and get more used to brewing. I am a confusing person lol.
I'm not confused, I'd use up what I had first, too. But getting the process down, and knowing what you like aren't bad ideas.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

"This recipe looks very heavy on the malt or light on the hops (take your pick)."

Looks like that's what he's shooting for!
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

This is more a question about Qbrew, but I plugged that in and got OG: 1.081, FG: 1.020, and a bitterness of 29, which is a lot more than GWCR's 17. So, I'm wondering what I plugged in wrong, since I'm only played around with QBrew for minimal amount of time (still working up the never to do an AG). I attached my file, hoping someone can laugh at it and then tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.

BTW, .qbrew files can't be attached.
The extension qbrew is not allowed.
The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector.
Attachments
test.zip
(706 Bytes) Downloaded 49 times
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

With QBrew, make sure you have the proper batch size. Mr. Beer is 2.13 gallons unless you do a 2.4 or 2.5 gallon batch.

Make sure you put in the hops FIRST, sometimes it doesn't calc right. I suspect you didn't put in the right ounces of hops - he has 0.4 ounces.

Make sure you adjust the alpha to whatever your package says, and of course put in the right time.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

RickBeer wrote:With QBrew, make sure you have the proper batch size. Mr. Beer is 2.13 gallons unless you do a 2.4 or 2.5 gallon batch.
Make sure you put in the hops FIRST, sometimes it doesn't calc right. I suspect you didn't put in the right ounces of hops - he has 0.4 ounces.
Make sure you adjust the alpha to whatever your package says, and of course put in the right time.
I had the 2.1gal and .4oz correct in the attached .qbrew file. But apparently the program's database for Cascade is at 7.1% alpha. As soon as I changed it to 4.5 from a Google search, it came down to 18.

So basically, it seems to me the .qbrew database is a bit untrustworthy. Although technically Google/Wikipedia claims the Alpha is 4.5-7.0, which seems kind of a huge range considering how big a difference that makes.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Every year as I understand it the level varies so no program works without being adjusted.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Yeah, always be prepared to change the AA for hops in any program. They will vary a bit from year to year. Always best to use the number on the packet when you buy them.

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

This has been helpful, thanks guys. I am still trying to figure out qbrew myself. I never used it before so I will keep all of this info in mind. None of my LBK are gonna be open for about two weeks so I won't get to try it quite yet. But I may try a couple Mr. Beer recipes first.

Right now I just finished brewing the Annapolis Home Brew Yuengling extract clone. Too bad they don't put what hops or grain or extract they actually use. They keep it a secret lol. I got an OG of 1.044 which is pretty much right on the money. I am excited to try it!

Really again thanks guys.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

We're happy to help! Keep brewing and asking questions when you need to. Hope your Yeungling clone turns out well for you. I like the original but can't get it around here. May have to whip that one up some day.

Cheers!
:cheers:

MattKnox

Post by MattKnox »

I am just a hop skip and a jump away from you so I understand not being able to get it. Thanks for the vote of confidence.