Where do you put your probe?

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Where do you put your probe?

Post by RickBeer »

Phil, something wrong since normal frig temp ia 37... Was it supposed to work properly?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Agree with Rick I have a small fridge and temp will go all the way down to 32 deg. Check you seal around the door and how the temp wire is going in may have kink in it allowing cool air to escape. :flag:
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Rick... It was free and had been used as a fermentation fridge before. It might need to be recharged with refrigerant but I've got beer fermenting in it right now at the exact temp I want. It seems like it is a bit old too, the fridge. I'm not worried. Just might not be able to keg again for a while.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Mr Fixit

Post by Mr Fixit »

Resurrecting all these posts is fun.
When i bought the Demon conical I kept the probe taped to the side, buffered from the ambient with a piece of Styrofoam.
I was never really happy with that the more I read that the interior of the conical is where the greatest heat is contained.
I cut a hole in the top (which is easy with a plastic lid) and bought a thermowell from Brewershardware. Haven't looked back since.
https://www.brewershardware.com/Straigh ... ermowells/
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

jimjohson wrote:I put mine on the side of the fermenter below the wort line. With a paper towel (folded) between the tape and the probe to help insulate it from air changes.
Ditto.

You want to attempt to measure the wort temp and not the fermenter or air temp. I tape mine to the side of my glass carboy (glass transfers temp easily) insulated with a small hand towel. I guess ideally you'd want it suspended in the wort, but then sanitation issues come into play.