grains....man

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

grains....man

Post by Gman20 »

last time i went to my lhbs picking out my malt extract for my current batch the guy working there was like next time we should start workin some grains in for ya.... im up for the challenge

any suggestions or tips on making the next step up to working some grain into my brew.i go for a beer that isnt too heavy for sure not a dark beer

also what did u guys do the first time u went from just extract to using some grains too
Sparrow
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: grains....man

Post by Sparrow »

Check out the "Next Step" post from Screwy in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=294&p=3971&hilit=schooling#p3971 where he talks about adding some steeped CaraPils to extract brews. CaraPils is a specialty grain that adds body, foam and head retention, without changing the flavor.

From there you can start to look for recipes that add other grains to the steep to bring additional color or flavor to the party.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

and from steeping it's just a short step to partial mashing
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I think the best thing you can do is what Jim suggested, and just add a little steeping grains for a few batches. This will give you some control over some of the color and also some flavor.
After that, when you're ready, a partial mash would be a good step. You'll notice a big difference in your beer and can learn how to mash but in smaller amounts.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You can review this chart here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

I've done steeping on quite a few batches. I found the addition of Carafoam (same as CaraPils) to a batch, 4 oz per LBK batch, to be beneficial. I've added honey malt to a recipe that I would have used honey in before (a little goes a long way), I added 8 oz of Crystal 60 to a batch of Bewitched Red (old Mr. Beer recipe, really made it good along with a pound of LME), and some Crystal 60 to an Oatmeal Stout (old Mr. Beer recipe with 1/2 lb of LME also) which was also good.

After that, I made two clones - Moosedrool and Blue Moon - using LME, hops, and steeped grains. Couldn't be easier, and once I use up my 9 Mr. Beer refills that I bought last Fall, I'll be doing those types of recipes then possibly moving to the next step if I want to.

This is how simple using bulk LME or DME is:

1) Steep any grains your recipe calls for.
2) Add LME/DME to partially heated water off the stove, stirring it in (steeped water temp is perfect, heat water a bit if not steeping).
3) Bring to a boil.
4) Put hops in as per recipe, at appropriate times. Example - add hops A right when the pot starts boiling, add hops B 30 minutes later, add hops C 10 minutes later, boil for another 20 minutes.
5) Remove from heat and coil in sink full of ice, water and salt (for faster cooling).
5) Add to LBK(s), aerate, pitch yeast.

You can Google for extract recipes quite easily, find them on forums like this, on sites that sell supplies (see below), or at your LHBS.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Maybe your LHBS has some clone recipes on hand? At mine, there is a treasure trove of customer written clone recipes using LME & steeping grains to replicate a bunch of popular microbrews.
Fun times!
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

RickBeer has two great links in his post if you are a new brewer. The grain chart will give you a flavor and color profile for each and show what can be steeped vs. mashed.

He also has the link for How to Brew by John Palmer which is an older edition and available to read online for free, this is a must read for new brewers who are interested in expanding as he breaks down the sections by stages of brewing experience.
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Brewbirds wrote:RickBeer has two great links in his post if you are a new brewer. The grain chart will give you a flavor and color profile for each and show what can be steeped vs. mashed.

He also has the link for How to Brew by John Palmer which is an older edition and available to read online for free, this is a must read for new brewers who are interested in expanding as he breaks down the sections by stages of brewing experience.
Actually the link for Palmer's book is to the Third Edition, which is the current one. Yes, the online old edition is free, but it's not as complete or correct. ;)
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I guess I am so used to to links from the OLD you I didn't notice. :lol: But would still add that the online version is a great primer for a new brewer.
Sibling Brewers
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

thanks guys