summer brewski

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

summer brewski

Post by Gman20 »

gonna brew up a saison for the summer.....now mind you ive never brewed a saison before and also i only tried one once and i think it was in a sam adams sampler pack,so not sure how it compared to a good saison

:mow: :mow: :mow: :mow:

so when to farmhouse brewing and picked this up with help from the owner which i ran thru brewers friend and looks alright to me

lbk batch
8.oz crytal malt
1 can 3.3# can of pilsen light
1 # of wheat dme
1oz belma hops.....another hop i havent used either but sounds tastey with strwberry melon peach flavors
belle saison yeast

so what you guys think? anyone try the belma before?
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: summer brewski

Post by berryman »

Gman20 wrote:gonna brew up a saison for the summer.....now mind you ive never brewed a saison before and also i only tried one once and i think it was in a sam adams sampler pack,so not sure how it compared to a good saison

so when to farmhouse brewing and picked this up with help from the owner which i ran thru brewers friend and looks alright to me

lbk batch
8.oz crytal malt
1 can 3.3# can of pilsen light
1 # of wheat dme
1oz belma hops.....another hop i havent used either but sounds tastey with strwberry melon peach flavors
belle saison yeast

so what you guys think? anyone try the belma before?
Sounds good Gman
crystal malt used mostly in PA's and IPA's but is good.
1 can 3.3# can of pilsen light = good
1 # of wheat dme = good choice
1oz belma hops = have never tried them, but sounds good. How you planning on boil schedule with them?
belle saison yeast = fun, you will like it...
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

Gonna do 30 mins and 5mins hop schedule for around 20 ibus
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Sounds like a plan. This summer I am going to make a bunch of short boil single hopped low gravity Belgians/Saisons with various Aussie/NZ hops I've never used. They all sound like they will taste great in such beers.

One thing for you to ponder is that if that's a 2.5 gallon batch it's not going to turn out like lawnmower beer, as in lower in alcohol. It's going to attenuate down to 1.005 or < with the Bella. So it will be pushing 7.5% or something like that. Just making sure you know... I had a 1.05ish EXTRACT beer go to 0.997 or there about last summer using it. That yeast eats anything. It might even eat a good bit of the crystal malt sugars chains. It can eat starch, so I don't see why it would not eat those too.

I try to keep my OG 1.05 or < for summer saisons for that reason.
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

yea i added more water to it and used 2 lbks so i have a lil under 4 gallons

also pondering whether im goin to rehydrate like package says i always dry pitch and been looking around the web and some say along with guy at lhbs that the yeast is a beast and will bw fine with a dry pitch
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The 0.997ish beer was dry pitched. You don't need to rehydrate it. I've never had a batch finish higher then 1.004 and I always dry pitch.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Wow, I did a ton of saison's with that yeast. Watch out, it is very easy to make a high gravity beer with it. And it goes great with Belma.

Monty
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Good to know as I plan on trying a saison or 2 this summer and have lots of belma that I wasn't sure how I would use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black