Yeast caking

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Yeast caking

Post by T8rSalad »

I poured my new batch of brew (C-MB HopHead Red) on top of a 3rd generation trub yeast cake in my LBK, made up of TBM 3 gram packet yeast & 2nd generation yeast cake from a GBCP batch I did 6-8 weeks ago. I had a major overflow into my cooler as it took 2 hand towels to soak it up and that eruption came within 4-6 hours after brewing. The fricking temp hit 78* for a bit there but I had a 64 oz frozen water bottle going in shortly thereafter anyhows.

I love this recycling my existing yeast cakes and the ease of pouring on top of it makes my brewday experience interesting to say the least.

Oh, and i really enjoy this borg community, thanks to LouieMagoo.
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Re: Yeast caking

Post by Foothiller »

My currently fermenting batch is my first time using a yeast cake from the previous batch, and I can say it also got off too an impressive start - using Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast. I knew I needed adequate headroom, so I didn't have any overflow, but it reached over 80% attenuation within 2 days.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

That 3522 is what I used for my Belgian pale ale and it definitely worked fast. Still let it go for a couple weeks to ensure complete attenuation, but it has such a good profile. If I was brewing another Belgian style right away, I would have pitched right on top of it too.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

This weekend will hit 3 weeks in the LBK. I would harvest this yeast again, but would not be using it again until next summer, and it will be easiest to just buy more then and harvest it then. Refractometer samples have tasted great, as did an early sample bottle of the first batch.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

This is the plan for my brew session this weekend.

I've got a Nelson Sauvin APA on Nottingham yeast in the fermenter that I'm gonna transfer this evening as my Sorachi Ace IPA cools.
I'm then gonna put that on about 1/3-1/2 of the yeast cake in the fermenter!
This is only the second time I have tried this and I want to compare the action and results!
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Old topic I know, but I have another question.

I put my last brew, which was three gallons, on about 1/3 of a Nottingham yeast cake from my previous brew.
I'm going to brew a 5 gallon amber this weekend that I would like to put on THAT yeast cake.

How many times can I pitch onto an existing yest cake and it still be viable?
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

teutonic terror wrote:Old topic I know, but I have another question.

I put my last brew, which was three gallons, on about 1/3 of a Nottingham yeast cake from my previous brew.
I'm going to brew a 5 gallon amber this weekend that I would like to put on THAT yeast cake.

How many times can I pitch onto an existing yest cake and it still be viable?
Terror: My limited experience with this, I have gone 3 generations of yeast cake and that is using mainly 2 MB sachets in the first generation... I have had very active krauesen building for the first 3-6 hours after pouring my wort over the top. I think I won't got to a 4th gen with this type of yeast but I think with a higher quality you might be able to go to 4th or 5th gen. my pennies worth ...T8r

Good luck and keep us posted please.
L8r T8r

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Thanks T8r!
I imagine after several brews it's bound to loose it viability. And I'm sure the higher grade yeast would go alot farther.

I've read on line some people pitching several batches on the same cake, some recommending , like you only three or so generations.

I've got a few packets of Notty on hand so if it looks like the fermentation isn't up to par in a reasonable amount of time, I can pitch that!

I'll keep you advised.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Me I have always been afraid to try this method of yeast reuse. Myself I was my yeast & do a starter. I usually get 6 to 8, eight once jars of yeast. Have not tried do a 2nd generation wash yet will try that this winter when I am off work :cheers: :cheers:
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

I will presume that if you did not get a fast ferm going, like 4-6 hours, one could add a sachet of new yeast...and another presumption (momma told me to never ASS-U-ME) is that the yeast cake would then become yeast nutrient...might this be correct or IN-correct? I had an eruption the other day when I used my yeast cake but then again, it had 2 cans of HME (1.21#) a bag of booster and 6 oz of honey...AND I slightly as in always fill-er-up to 8.5 qts as I try to always get 2.5 gallons of liquid Pleasure out of my LBK.

Either shame on me or dat-a-boy T8r when I pour that 1st brew from the batch. Time to go bottle another batch, a Canadian Red Vienna Lager...right at 3 weeks yesterday.

Good luck Terror & Haerbob, they will become some good brews regardless.

L8r T8r

:party:
L8r T8r

gwcr

Post by gwcr »

I have yet to reuse yeast in any fashion as I don't brew often enough to justify it, so I have no direct experience. The current issue of BYO has a lot of great yeast info, including a section on harvesting and reusing. I highly recommend picking up this issue if you don't have a subscription already. Here's a snippet of that article by Gretchen Schmidhausler regarding pitching directly on yeast cakes.

"Some homebrewers will reuse the yeast cake in its entirety, transferring a fresh batch of wort directly on top, into the old fermenter. This is a terrible idea and is contrary to everything we know about proper sanitation procedures. They will argue that they have never had an issue with this method. My response: If you haven't had an issue yet, it's just a matter of time."

Just thought I would pass that on. As always, YMMV.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've just taken a small amount from a completed batch but never just dumped new beer on top of a fermenter that I just kegged. That's way too much yeast and funk for me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black