Karl Strauss Mosiac Session Ale (San Diego, CA)

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Karl Strauss Mosiac Session Ale (San Diego, CA)

Post by Kealia »

I mentioned in the "what are you drinking?" thread that I had one of these last night so I'm giving it a proper review here.
It's actually the second time I've had this beer - first on tap while out, now in bottles at home.

I know some of you have played with Mosaic with mixed results, and I'm here to tell you that this beer was done right with these hops!
"Mosaic Session Ale is bursting with vibrant grapefruit aroma and flavors of citrus and tropical fruit."

It's interesting that so many people (and the brewer, of course) talk about grapefruit with Mosaic because I don't get that. I get the tropical, juicy, citrusy pop from it that I absolutely love. I just don't grapefruit so I suppose my taste buds aren't calibrated for that flavor.

It pours highly carbed, creating a long-lasting head that is almost meringue-like. They list White Wheat in the grain bill but there can't be much because it's also crystal clear.

The taste is all hop, but I'm pretty convinced that the little bit of wheat helps those stand out more than just using a 2-row base, too. That's good, because that's how I constructed my Nelson Sauvin - but that's another thread.

It's fruity, juicy, mango-pineapple-ish to me and I love the way the flavors pop in this beer. It finishes with a bittering undertone that makes me what to take a bite of something (burger, something spicy, salty) and then take another drink. And another. You get the picture.

It's almost a shame to drink this because it smells so good, though. Of course it tastes so good it's almost a waste of time to smell it when you can be drinking it. Such a problem to have.

Love this beer. Glad to have access to it in bottles. It's got more mouthfeel than your 'typical' session beers out there at 5.5% so it won't leave you feeling like it's missing anything. But, it's not for the piney-dank crowd. This beer is all fruit baby.

Picture to follow in separate post because I'm having pc issues.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Karl Strauss Mosiac Session Ale (San Diego, CA)

Post by Kealia »

BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Man...that looks good! It would probably go well with the turkey sammy I'm eating for lunch right now!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I don't get grapefruit at all with mosaic unless its with another hop but I get a grape like taste, like wine. In one beer with all mosaic, I wasn't crazy about it but others with mosaic and a variety of hops were very enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Great review! When Sam Adams does their Lattitude 48 Deconstructed, the Mosaic is always my favorite. I definitely get the grapefruit. May have to try to find this one around here!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

To me in the commercial mosaic beers I've liked, it has a tropical fruit/peachy vibe more similar to Citra. It does have berry aroma/flavor, which must be what Beer Lord is describing as "grape" to him. To me it's not "grape" but more "berry". Nelson seems more "grapey" to me. I don't get what I would call "grapefruit" unless there is some other hop in there like cascade. I don't get pine unless there is some other hop in there like cascade or simcoe. It's almost as if they need some other hop to make some of it's hidden flavors "pop".

I'm going to have to try it again in beer I make mixing it with other hops. I just never liked it that much by itself. By itself when I used it, it seemed like "weak kneed Simcoe with mysterious berries", and I was wishing I had used Simcoe in that beer instead due to my taste preferences.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I get grapefruit from Simcoe and Mosaic is called the Daughter of Simcoe so I guess I should be picking more of the grapefruit up but I just don't.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

What's interesting is that it is "the Daughter of Simoce" but it is also often referred to as "Citra on steroids" which is how it comes across to me.

Paul, I was actually thinking of you while drinking this one since I recall your experience with your Mosaic beer.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:To me in the commercial mosaic beers I've liked, it has a tropical fruit/peachy vibe more similar to Citra. It does have berry aroma/flavor, which must be what Beer Lord is describing as "grape" to him. To me it's not "grape" but more "berry". Nelson seems more "grapey" to me.
This is spot on how I perceive it, too.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Had another one of these last night and loved it just as much as before.

Yum.
Burp.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Oooohh... I can't wait to try one. :whistle:
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Mmmmm....so good. Grapefruit all over the place. Aroma and flavor is awesome. Easy drinking too. I wish I had about three more of these. I believe I need to do a recipe using a lot of Mosaic. Thanks Ron.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430958694.177543.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430958694.177543.jpg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've personally found that all Mosaic isn't my thing but using it with other hops as late additions truly makes it shine. But maybe I've just not made the right recipe.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Wonder where the grapefruit came from? Nothing I've used mosaic in tasted at all like grapefruit, unless I mixed it with cascade/centennial.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

According to the Karl Straus website, Mosaic is the only hop in it.
Mosaic Session Ale
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck