Weizenheimer

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Weizenheimer

Post by FedoraDave »

I bottled a case of this two weeks ago, and I like to try a couple of bottles of a new beer two weeks in, so yesterday I chilled a couple, and last night, I tried one. I was a little concerned because for a week immediately after bottling, I had them in my basement, on the concrete floor. And it was darn chilly down there, so I wondered if they'd even be carbed properly. But it opened with a satisfying psssht and it's definitely carbed. Still a little young, but I expected that.

So after tasting the pint of Weizenheimer last night, I looked up the BJCP style guidelines, and I don't think I'm too far off with this recipe, for all that it's too young right now.

There are some fruity esters in the aroma (I'm not real good at detecting aroma in my beer, though, so I don't really know), which is good.
Appearance is hazy, but that's acceptable in a wheat beer, and this recipe is over 50% wheat malt. Color is very pale straw, which is also to style. The head is thick and white and persistent, as per guidelines.

Flavor is sweeter than I like in a beer, but you're going to get that. It may be better with a little more age, and it may be more welcome in hot weather. It is still crisp and bracing. Mouthfeel is effervescent. Again, would be welcome in hot weather. Rather a pleasant, fruity/floral/ever-so-slightly spicy finish.

A very simple recipe for my first attempt at a Weizen; 2.5 pounds wheat malt, 2 pounds Pilsner. I used Saaz hops, but any one of the Noble strains would do; I just picked Saaz because I don't use it often, and it's a darn good hops. Probably not a medal-winner, here, but I could definitely brew it again in late spring and have a good, refreshing wheat beer to enjoy in the summer.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer