Double Bagging

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Double Bagging

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

While stirring my grains during the mash I've been poking small holes in the grain bag and a few grains have been getting into my wort. I've been thinking about putting the bag with holes in it inside a new bag to help prevent this. Has anyone every thought or done the same thing before?
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Double Bagging

Post by Ibasterd »

I assume your doing BIAB. I have not done this, but seems like a plausible idea. The only drawback may be a very slow draining of the wort from the grain bag if it's doubled up. I would imagine if one were doing something like a pumpkin beer or with any adjuncts added to the mash, it may drain poorly. Always worth a try as an experiment.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have a pretty tight BIAB bag that I bought from WilserBrewer Bag and it is both very sturdy and very 'tight'. Not much gets thru that bag so I don't see how double bagging will hurt. You will have a problem draining the bag as I have to squeeze mine pretty tight to get all the wort out. (nope, never had a tanin problem either).
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Beer-lord wrote:I have a pretty tight BIAB bag and it is both very sturdy and very 'tight'.
Attachments
47831198.jpg
47831198.jpg (116.01 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I'll cast my vote to the WilserBrewer bag Beer-lord linked to. Very sturdy well made bag custom made to your kettle size. I haven't put a hole in mine yet.

What are you stirring with? Do you have anything sticking into the kettle that might be pinching while stirring?
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Inkleg wrote:I'll cast my vote to the WilserBrewer bag Beer-lord linked to. Very sturdy well made bag custom made to your kettle size. I haven't put a hole in mine yet.

What are you stirring with? Do you have anything sticking into the kettle that might be pinching while stirring?
My bag sits inside a perforated stainless basket that fits inside the kettle so the bottom doesn't hit the heating element. I use a long handled plastic mash stirrer but with 24 pounds of grain and stirring it every 15 minutes I think that's making the holes.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Is it possible that the holes in the basket are a bit rough and are causing the problem?

Yep, I did say tight, twice and don't know why except maybe it's just very tight. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Beer-lord wrote:Is it possible that the holes in the basket are a bit rough and are causing the problem?k
This is what I'm thinking also.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:While stirring my grains during the mash I've been poking small holes in the grain bag and a few grains have been getting into my wort. I've been thinking about putting the bag with holes in it inside a new bag to help prevent this. Has anyone every thought or done the same thing before?
Never poked any holes in a bag before.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Something about this thread just strikes me as dirty. tight double bags, poking holes… I don't know.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Ibasterd wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:I have a pretty tight BIAB bag and it is both very sturdy and very 'tight'.
:lol: :rofl:
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

I get small rips -- not holes, really -- in the paint strainer bags that I've been using. One time it let probably about a handful of husks into the kettle. After the second or third such incident with rips/tears, I decided to spring for a WilserBrewer bag.

I haven't used it yet. It will get its first use in a week or two. But I have used the hop sack that I also bought, both for dry-hopping and for a boil session of an extract batch. I was very happy with the hop sack's performance, so I'm confident I'll be satisfied with the BIAB bag.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Ok, ok I get it, poking tight holes and all that. Seriously thanks folks for sharing your real and imaginary thoughts with me. I'm going to double bag it next time, no pun intended but implied, and will report back after my next brewday. I also plan to look at the sources posted earlier, I've been getting my bags from High Gravity since they made the system I'm using.

bcltoys

Post by bcltoys »

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php I use on of these stopped getting hole's no bag needed.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

bcltoys wrote:https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php I use on of these stopped getting hole's no bag needed.
Wow!, Thank you for posting, this will give me a lot of options to consider, all of them good. Who would have known BioDiesel would have brewing supplies!