3 Part mash guidelines

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

3 Part mash guidelines

Post by Ibasterd »

Hey all

Planning a Scottish ale. The recipe I'm working off uses a 3 part mash, which I have not done before. Any thoughts on the benefits of this method vs a 1 hour mash at 152º? Also, how do you account for the time that it takes to reach a higher temp from a lower? I'm using an electric stovetop with a 5 gallon vessel, BIAB. It takes a fair bit of time to raise temps.

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 122 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 7.2 qt, Protein Rest
2) Temperature, Temp: 153 F, Time: 45 min, Saccharification
3) Temperature, Temp: 169 F, Time: 10 min, Mash Out
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: 3 Part mash guidelines

Post by John Sand »

Mash temp requirements are not as precise as we practice them: conversion happens above and below specified temps. My last batch was just mashed until it converted, judging by clarity. I've read of a practice of linear mashing, just heat through all of your temps until mash out. I haven't tried it, but it seems appropriate for a step mash. If you dough in with a target of 122, then heat slowly, I think you will achieve your desired results.
But I haven't step mashed, so, just some things to think about.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Thanks John. Here is an article I found: https://byo.com/stories/item/1133-maste ... m-the-pros

It seems that the time in-between rest temps isn't very important. But it IS important to keep the mash at the required temps for the allotted amount of time. So, the time it takes to reach the new, higher temp is just added to the rest times at the specific temps (making for an overall longer mash process). I may give this a go next brew day.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Interesting topic and article.

Since this is in the BIAB section, I'm wondering what would happen if one were to lift the grain bag out of the liquid while apply heat, then putting it back in. I only wonder this because I worry about the nylon (or whatever) bag melting with a lot of heat applied to the pot. That article is from 1998, so I'm thinking BIAB wasn't really well known technique back when it was written.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I suggest finding something to place on the bottom so you not only protect the bag from burning but the grains as well. If you have a small pot, you might be able to use something like a stainless collander on the bottom. For my smaller pot, I found a porcelain gas stove burner pan.
I also stir mine every 10-15 minutes which also helps with my efficiency.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW I've done a semi-controlled "linear" type of mash in my oven before with Munich for use in a partial mash recipe in my small pot (12Q partial mash which I added to my 16Q pot for the boil - my 16Q pot doesn't fit in oven). I basically did a strike with ~140 degree water (whatever strike calculator told me), set the pot in my oven at my lowest setting and the timer at 10 minutes. After the timer dinged shut off oven let it stand 15 minutes, then re-set the timer for 10 minutes and fired the oven back up at lowest setting... ding... turn off oven let stand again for 15 minutes... repeat a 3rd time, and then fired up the oven for 10 minutes again at the end. Not very sophisticated. But this did work, I made good beer.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Bluejaye wrote:Interesting topic and article.

Since this is in the BIAB section, I'm wondering what would happen if one were to lift the grain bag out of the liquid while apply heat, then putting it back in. I only wonder this because I worry about the nylon (or whatever) bag melting with a lot of heat applied to the pot. That article is from 1998, so I'm thinking BIAB wasn't really well known technique back when it was written.
Good point. I'm lucky enough to have a false bottom in my brew pot, so that shouldn't be an issue.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If you try it, consider that you might drop a degree or two if you pull the bag, get to a temp, and drop the bag back in. The entire surface area of the bag will cool some before you plop it back in. So you may want to heat up a degree or two above your intended temp. (I can't say exactly how much, and I don't think a strike temp calculator will help here as the entire bag of grain won't be at the same temp).
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Well, I did the step mash this last weekend. I didn't pull the bag, I just ramped up the heat after each rest. Seemed to get good conversion, so we'll see. Unless the finished product us noticeably better, I will probably just do a one temp mash in the future.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I still think it's a great experiment. That's half the fun. Keep us posted. My short mash last batch did not attenuate as expected.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Ibasterd wrote:Well, I did the step mash this last weekend. I didn't pull the bag, I just ramped up the heat after each rest. Seemed to get good conversion, so we'll see. Unless the finished product us noticeably better, I will probably just do a one temp mash in the future.
Definitely interested in hearing your opinion when you get to try it in a couple months.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Well it's too early to tell but one thing that is different so far, is that this is the longest active fermentation I've had. It has been seven days since pitching and it's still going strong. Thick krausen and a swirling yeast storm. Usually active fermentation has settled down by now. Maybe the step mash produced more fermentable goodies for the yeast. Or msybe it's the yeast itself. Scottish ale yeast, which I've not used before.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

That is definitely likely. You'll get a lot more conversion of smaller sugars that are more readily eaten by the yeast, and I reckon the pH becomes a little more suitable for fermentation conditions so it's a prime environment.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra