Flavored Beers - trying something new

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Flavored Beers - trying something new

Post by RickBeer »

I used to not be a fan of flavored beers before I got into home brewing. SWMBO liked Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and when I got into home brewing I made Mr. Beer's Cherry Wheat (it was awful) and St. Valentine's Cherries in Honey (ok, not great). I also made a batch of the old Oatmeal Stout and added peanut butter flavoring per DaYooper's suggestion, and she really liked that.

We found however, that due to her lower level of consumption it took the better part of a year or more to finish 18 or 19 bottles of a particular type. Right now she's got 9 bottles of Raspberry-flavored, 14 Peanut Butter, and 37 Cherries in Honey plus all the ones I drink that she mostly likes.

My experience with fruit-beers is that adding cans of Oregon fruit yields a more-cidery brew with little fruit flavor no matter when you add it, and it's $3 a can which would be $6 or more per 5 gallon batch. The Peanut Butter flavor added with Lorann flavoring yields a very nice result - my LHBS sells a dram (5 gallon batch) for $2.99. It's added at time of bottling.

Anyway, I'm embarking on an experiment that I thought some might be interested in. Lorann, the company that makes the flavorings happens to be a Michigan company and sells them for $1.40 instead of $2.99. They have a lot of flavors. They sell them in 1 dram sizes, 1 oz sizes (including additional flavors) and 4 oz sizes. They also sell eyedroppers that fit the bottles and replace the caps.

A dram (0.0625 ounces, 16 drams in an ounce) contains 57 drops. When I brew a 5 gallon recipe, I get around 600 ounces or 50 bottles. Therefore, if I put the entire dram it would work out to 1.14 drops per bottle. I'm planning on ordering about 8-10 flavors, plus droppers. I am brewing a Fruit Wheat Beer (6 pounds of wheat LME, 0.5 pounds of torrified wheat, 4 oz of Crystal 10, 0.5 pounds of flaked oats, and 1 oz of Wilamette with S-05) and leaving the fruit out. Then, at time of drinking a brew, we'll put one drop in the glass, then pour the beer. For the wheat beer I'm ordering Apricot, Blackberry, Cherry, Peach, and Raspberry. For my Oatmeal Stout I'm ordering Chocolate, Coffee, and Peanut butter. I'm also ordering Orange to try with a Blue Moon clone.

The beauty of this idea is you don't have to commit an entire batch of beer, or even 1/2 batch (2.5 gallon bottling slimline), to a flavor, and then either it doesn't go fast enough or you don't like the result. You can also experiment on how much to add, and if it's awful you've wasted $1.40, not a 1/2 or full batch of beer. And you can combine flavors, like a drop of Apricot and a drop of Peach.

Lorann flavors do not go bad. They lose potency over about 3 years, so worse case you might have to add more in a few years if that flavor is still in your inventory. And if you really like a flavor, you can buy the bigger sizes which are much more economical (1 oz is the same price as 3 drams which is more than 5 times the quantity, 4 oz is the same price as 10 drams but is 6 times the quantity and is the same price as 3 oz, so you get an ounce for free).

I'll be trying these in the coming months (not brewing the wheat until early March for late April consumption), and will update how the results come out at that time.

If anyone sees a flaw in this plan, please speak up - I haven't ordered yet. :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Flavored Beers - trying something new

Post by DaYooper »

Leave it to you to do the math for me!

SWMBO has used orange flavoring to add to her beer (usually in the bottle - I am trying to break her of that habit) for some time. I have not thought about doing it with the PB Oatmeal but that could solve our problems of me having to make plain stouts for myself and hence twice the shelf space. Seeing as it works out to about a drop each bottle it sounds perfect to me.

When ordering from Lorann, do they have a standard shipping fee? Or are you stopping by and picking up. I may need to stock up on some for when my brewing becomes more limited but yet want to maintain some variety in the pipeline.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Lorann shipping.JPG
Lorann shipping.JPG (21.03 KiB) Viewed 927 times
I'm not driving to Lansing for it... 130 miles roundtrip, gas costs more plus time.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

RickBeer wrote:I'm not driving to Lansing for it... 130 miles roundtrip, gas costs more plus time.
Im guessing neither one of us is allowed there. At least not East Lansing....
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Maybe I should do business with a competitor given their location...

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Bottled the wheat beer earlier in the week, so today I ordered the flavors. Ended up with Apricot, Blueberry, Cherry, Chocolate, Orange, Peach, Peanut Butter, Raspberry, and Strawberry, plus eyedroppers to replace the lids on each. Only a few more flavors that I could have got (based on things that logically go in beer AND what's available in 1 dram bottles, some flavors are only available in 1 ounce or larger bottles - and using a drop per 12 oz glass would take a long time to use. Plus, except for peanut butter, haven't tried any of these yet, so no sense in buying a larger bottle until we a) learn what we like and b) figure out the rate of usage.

Most will be for the wheat, Peanut Butter for Oatmeal Stout, perhaps Chocolate too. I may try adding Raspberry to one of my reds as Raspberry Oktoberfest came out pretty good but I don't have any Oktoberfest right now.

I didn't order Blackberry, Coffee, Lemon or Lime. To me Lemon and Lime are flavors for very light beers and I don't have any beer like that. Picked Blueberry over Blackberry, and Coffee gets added via cold brewing to my stout at bottling if I want it.

Once we try these (end of April earliest) I will post back my impressions.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Should work. The traditional way for a tart hefe or a traditional unflavored sour beer (straight up lambic) would be to pour a little bit of flavored syrup of whatever kind you like (same stuff they use in coffee shops) into the bottom of the glass, then pour the hefe/lambic on top to mix it. Your way will be less sweet but have flavor/aroma. Just depends on if you want that bit of sweetness or not. Most girls like that sweetness though. At least that's what I hear :)
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I'm already sweet enough for SWMBO. :whistle:

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Thought I'd update this thread with my results. Got the LorAnn flavors early in April with the eyedroppers. I bought their eyedroppers designed to replace the caps, with the intention of leaving them in the bottles. As I went back and forth with little questions, they told me that they did not recommend long term storage of the dropper in the bottle (despite selling screwtop droppers to fit the bottles), because the flavors could deteriorate the rubber (even just the vapors). Well then I asked, why do you sell such large packs of droppers (I bought a 12 pack, would have bought the smaller 4 pack if I had known). At my recommendation they added this to the site: Exposure to certain super-strength flavors and essential oils may cause the rubber to degrade. For this reason, we do not recommend long-term storage of the bottles with the dropper tops as the cap.

Anyway, the two wheat beers (Fruit Wheat base and a Blue Moon clone) were ready in time for my son's graduation from grad school on May 1st. Starting the night prior we and his grandmother tried the new beers. The Fruit Wheat base seems perfect for fruit additions, to which we've tried Apricot, Peach, Raspberry, and Strawberry. To no one's surprise, Raspberry is the best. Neither Apricot or Peach is outstanding, but Apricot is better than Peach (I've read that many "Peach" beers are mostly Apricot), and Strawberry still needs more experimenting. I also added Orange to the Blue Moon. In experimenting a little, 1 drop (even from these small droppers) seems enough.

All in all, very happy with the results. Instead of flavoring an entire batch, flavoring just a glass is a much better option, allowing you to account for different tastes in the people drinking the beers, try different flavors, and most importantly not commit an entire 5 gallon batch to one flavor. Still have other flavors to try in the wheat and other beers - Chocolate and Blueberry, in addition to the Peanut Butter for the Oatmeal Stout that we know is good.

The shipping was relatively high, but given that my LHBS charges $2.99 instead of $1.40 that LorAnn charges, breakeven was at 4 flavors plus I wanted the eye droppers.

The flavors stay strong for 2 - 3 years, but never go bad, just weaken.

I plan on buying a few others if I'm ever headed near their office which is up by Lansing, Michigan (not that I ever go there), but for now we're good.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

So you say 1 drop, I'm guessing you are talking about in a 12oz bottle and not a pint, but you only mention 12oz in reference to a glass so just verifying? Did you try 2 drops, if so I'm guessing your opinion is that it is to much?

I appreciate this experiment of yours. SWMBO keeps harping on me to make her some sort of Short's Soft Parade type of beer, but I haven't been to keen on doing a full 5 gallon batch, or even a 2.5 gallon split of it.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Sorry, yes, a 12 oz bottle.

Here's how I arrived at that.

1 dram per 5 gallon batch. 1 dram is 0.75 teaspoons, or 57 drops.

A 5 gallon batch yields, for me, say fifty 12 oz bottles.

Therefore, a 12 oz bottle would have 57/50 or 1.14 drops in it.

Of course, what is a drop? Does a normal sized eyedropper produce the same size drop as a tiny eyedropper (such as the ones that I bought from LorAnn that fits into the tiny dram bottle? Don't know.

We put 2 drops of Raspberry in and poured 12 oz. Tasted good, noticeable. With Apricot, SWMBO said that 2 drops was too strong. But it wasn't "oh my god, this is awful" strong. I put 2 drops of Orange in the Blue Moon clone, I'd do 1 drop next time.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone