U.S. Tettnang vs. German Tettnang: Is There a Difference?

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

U.S. Tettnang vs. German Tettnang: Is There a Difference?

Post by lindseywinstead »

In gathering the necessities for the Winter 2015 RCE, I recently ordered some German Tettnang hops. When the order arrived, despite the invoice listing German Tettnang, the actual bag of hops was clearly labeled U.S. Tettnang. A quick e-mail to the online retailer yielded a fast apology and a full refund. However, at this time, they are out of stock on the German variety. This got me to thinking: is it true that "a rose is a rose is a rose"? A bit of reading revealed that U.S. Tettnang are closely related to Fuggle, whereas German are more genetically similar to Saaz and Spalter. Has anyone compared the two varieties head-to-head? I see a Tettnang S.M.A.S.H. experiment in the near future...
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: U.S. Tettnang vs. German Tettnang: Is There a Difference

Post by Gymrat »

There will always be a difference between hops grown here and hops grown overseas. Soil compositions and climates are different. I think your SMaSH idea is a sound one.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: U.S. Tettnang vs. German Tettnang: Is There a Difference

Post by John Sand »

A test would be a great idea. But I freely substitute hops for something nearby. I've used US Saaz for Czech in some very successful recipes. Brewing Classic Styles has a great table with substitution groups.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.