To Secondary...Or Not?

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

To Secondary...Or Not?

Post by berryman »

This question has come and gone every since I've been brewing beer. It used to be a secondary was the right way to brew beer. Then it was decided that it wasn't necessary to make good beer and the risk involved out weighted the benefits. I think it is worth it, here's why.... once you put that fermenting wort into the secondary, you can kind of forget about it until you are ready to bottle, it will age and condition, settle and clear, Free up the primary to make more beer. Just use good sanitation practices when transferring and there is no problem.
Brewed this beer 12/14/14 racked 12/22/14 bottled 1/17/15 have been drinking it for a few days now and as good or better then some beers I have bottle conditioned for weeks.
Good beer can be made either way, but I like to use a secondary most times.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: To Secondary...Or Not?

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I think it really depends on what your brewing. There are several guys in my home brew club that don't do the secondary and have award winning beers. I think the bigger, high ABV beers 8% and above tend to benefit from a secondary where as lower ABV ones don't. Also wheat beers are supposed to be hazy so you don't need it to settle out in a secondary. If you do use a secondary the 2 big issues are sanitation as you mentioned but also oxidation.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

LouieMacGoo wrote:If you do use a secondary the 2 big issues are sanitation as you mentioned but also oxidation.
Yup, the key is to rack while there is some fermentation going on unless you purge with CO2. If I am not sure I will dump 1/2oz or so of priming sugar in to be on the safe side.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

The only time I've ever racked to secondary is when I brew a beer using fruit. I don't want to throw fruit on top of the yeast cake, so I'll put it into another bucket and let the suspended yeast do its thing.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

gwcr

Post by gwcr »

I've only done a secondary once way back when I had a HUGE amount of trub in the MB fermenter. Like philm00x, I would probably use one if I were using fruit or maybe a massive amount of dry hops. Other than that, I go 2-3 weeks in primary then keg. I guess technically I secondary in the keg as I like to go at least 2-4 weeks in the keg at 65 degrees, but I don't transfer to another keg after that. May start using one of the kegs as a brite tank down the road if I get a wild hair. Bottom line is you can make great (and award winning) beer either way. So do whatever your space, time, budget allows, and RDWHAHB!

:cheers:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

One secondary for me in the last 2 years. Its not something I plan to do much in the future either. If it's done for clarity, it still wouldn't be worth it to me but to each his/her own.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Lately, FWIW, only secondary is for Lager.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I've used a secondary in the past, but I tend not to bother nowadays, unless I want that carboy for another batch. I have a friend who used a secondary for a coffee milk stout, racking onto coffee beans and letting it sit; essentially conditioning it this way prior to bottling. The stout turned out great, and that technique worked very well for him.

For me, it's more trouble than it's worth, unless, as I said, I want a quicker turnaround and need the primary.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

It all depends on what I am doing. On this upcoming batch I will secondary. Will be racking on to coca nibs for a couple of weeks. Most batches go from primary to keg. The beer cellar conditions till it ends up in the beer frig. Don't think there is a rule on secondary or not. I go by what the beer needs.
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

I had read not to bother, so I never did. This last Kolsch I made, however, I decided to do it because the Wyeast Kolsch yeast doesn't floc, and I wanted a bright beer. The first time I used it the Kolsch was so cloudy, which is just about looking good, but in for a penny, in for a pound. No point in doing something if you aren't going to do it the best you can, is how I live. I also used gelatin for the first time on this one. Turned out great!

I might just start using a secondary for every batch from now on, for no other reason than it made bottling day a bit easier with regards to cleaning. I had to clean the fermentor out the day I did the secondary, but that meant not having another thing to clean on bottling day, which for some reason seemed "better" to me.
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

When I bottled all my beers I pretty much did secondary everything. A habit I picked up from making wine. I am going to get a couple of spunding valves. With the pick up system the kids got for me. I am going to keg my beer a couple, three points high set the valve an let them carb & condition in the keg. What kids got be picks the beer up from the top of the keg instead of the bottom.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Bluejaye wrote:I had read not to bother, so I never did. This last Kolsch I made, however, I decided to do it because the Wyeast Kolsch yeast doesn't floc, and I wanted a bright beer. The first time I used it the Kolsch was so cloudy, which is just about looking good, but in for a penny, in for a pound. No point in doing something if you aren't going to do it the best you can, is how I live. I also used gelatin for the first time on this one. Turned out great!

I might just start using a secondary for every batch from now on, for no other reason than it made bottling day a bit easier with regards to cleaning. I had to clean the fermentor out the day I did the secondary, but that meant not having another thing to clean on bottling day, which for some reason seemed "better" to me.
Honestly, if you are using gelatin I wouldn't bother using a secondary. But yeah, that Kolsch yeast can be a bitch to floc out!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I brought this topic up mostly for something to talk about and discussion. I don't always secondary everything. I just brewed a nut brown that stayed in the primary for the duration, and I have a couple MB seasonals in LBK's that will be bottled out of them. I do have a Saison in one of my secondary carboys that I will leave in there for a while. My next one I will brew next Monday will sit in a secondary for quite a few weeks. I'm far from being an expert but I think timing is very important when transferring. I like to secondary just when the krausen drops but still having a little active fermentation. Usually 7-10 days but have had to go a little longer all depending on the beer, Yeast and fermenting temp. I usually take a hydro. reading and then a taste test at that time.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

I always like doing the transfer when the yeast is still active. That will blow the Oxygen out.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Many years ago I used to secondary everything. Because that's what you did.

But now, the only beer I put in a secondary in the past 2 years was a Quad. The only reason I did that is that I had pitched onto a yeast cake, and the new cake got "super sized" with lots of old buried yeast, and I didn't want to leave it on that for very long. Other then that even the Kolsch I haven't bothered with. They clear in the bottle given time.