missing Corn Sugar mistake in IPA, what to do?

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

missing Corn Sugar mistake in IPA, what to do?

Post by losman26 »

I brewed an Abner clone from BYO- 8 gallons. Plugging in the numbers to beersmith, I was supposed to add 1 lb 6.2 oz of corn sugar for the last the last ten minutes of the boil. I mistakenly only added 6.2 oz, and was going to add the rest by diluting it with some boiled water.
The OG for the recipe is supposed to be around 1.077, FG at 1.014

I'm going to add some more corn sugar, but the problem is that my OG with the missing sugar was already at 1.074. I don't want an extremely sweet beer. If I add all of the corn sugar that I'm supposed to, I reckon that my estimated OG would probably be at 1.080 instead of 1.077 I also split the batch between two carboys- one 6 gal carboy filled up to about 5.75 gal, and the other one is at about 2.25 gal.

So here are my options-
1. add 6 oz into the 6 gallon carboy- I end up with an estimated OG with where I'm supposed to be.
2. add the amount in the recipe- overshoot my OG by 3 pts.

What do you think is the better option?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: missing Corn Sugar mistake in IPA, what to do?

Post by mashani »

I'd use all the sugar, as the extra alcohol produced will make it seem lighter bodied and cut down on the perceived residual malt sweetness if that's what your trying to get rid of. Carbing it at slightly higher volumes would help there too.

3rd option if you have enough headspace, is to boil the full amount of sugar in more water then is necessary (boil the water a good bit first to drive off oxygen), and then you will end up with more beer closer to the intended FG, and with less residual malt sweetness due to the overshot OG as you would be diluting it back towards the intended gravity. I've done this in big Belgians before.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

As ever, Mash is correct.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

When do you think I should add it? I already added it to the smaller carboy, because the krausen has already settled. The 6 gallon carboy is going crazy, but the overflow has stopped. I'm just afraid of having a really dry beer if I add it later.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm sure it would be okay either way. And it is interesting to split a wort into two different beers. But you can add the sugar at any time, the yeast will eat it up.
Never mind, there it is.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

When I have extra wort, I usually change up the yeast in the smaller carboy. I like doing dry yeast in the smaller one, because I am lazy and do different dry hops as well.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Me too, though my splits have generally been planned in advance. The current one used the same yeast, but added dry hops to the pale, and candi syrup to the dubbel. So far so good, kegged the pale, we like it. The dubbel is bottle conditioning.
Never mind, there it is.