Question: On the Use of Mulling Spices

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Question: On the Use of Mulling Spices

Post by lindseywinstead »

I am in the process of creating a Pumpkin Spice Ale recipe based on an experimental batch I found successful a few years ago. The experimental batch was 2.5 gallons and this attempt I will scale up to 5 gallons. I am happy with the results on paper, but thought I had better seek advice from those with experience: will simply doubling the amount of spice be sufficient or will it result in an overload? The original batch was infused with 1 tablespoon of mulling spice (a mixture of cinnamon, orange peel, allspice, cloves, and ginger) added at flameout and remaining in the primary for three weeks. I know that these are some hardcore spices with intense flavour, but I was delighted with the flavour profile in the end beer. I know the usual answer applies: "begin in moderation and adjust to taste." Does anyone have any personal experience with doubling a recipe with spices? Was it perfect or did it blow the roof of your mouth off?
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Question: On the Use of Mulling Spices

Post by JohnSant »

I brewed a Mr.Beer Punkin Ale that called for 1 tsp of mulling spice, for me it was way to much I felt it should have been 1/2 tsp to compliment the beer however some may want the spicy flavor. I gave it to my son-in-law as like Mike he'll drink anything. Mr. Beer was a LBK 2.18 gal.
lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

JohnSant wrote:I brewed a Mr.Beer Punkin Ale that called for 1 tsp of mulling spice, for me it was way to much I felt it should have been 1/2 tsp to compliment the beer however some may want the spicy flavor.
In my original attempt, I was looking for an intense flavour, and it delivered without being extreme. I made certain to allow it to condition for six months before it was sampled. At one month, I tried my trub/sample bottle and it was much too overpowering; but that was expected. I guess I like extreme flavours in my beer, perhaps more so than the average Joe, but LOML, who has a much more discerning palate than I, proclaimed that it was one of my best brews. I have been fortunate in my brewing experiments with spices. I once did an Orange Clove APA that I felt was outstanding: and it had 44 whole cloves in 2.5 gallons!!! That may sound shocking, but they had been through quite a process before they went into my wort. I made a cordial with the orange and cloves in vodka (a variation on the classic 44 Cordial), so the goodies had been steeped in vodka for 44 days, then tossed in the freezer for a few months. I expected it to be a disaster, but it turned out to be an amazing spice beer which was much enjoyed this past Fall.
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I brewed Thunderstruck Pumpkin from HBT in September. I used one teaspoon of Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, orange peel, cloves, ginger) at flame-out. That was just right for me, I prefer subtle spice. That brew also needed months to condition, maybe because of the pumpkin.
When in doubt, I split the difference. Use 1.5 tablespoons.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

John Sand wrote:When in doubt, I split the difference. Use 1.5 tablespoons.
That sounds like great advice. My biggest concern is the lag time: 6 months before I can sample and find out if my decision was in the ballpark. But then again, I guess patience is not only a virtue, but when brewing, it may be the most essential ingredient...
2thedogs Brewery
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

If you still have your LBKs then you could use the 1.5 in the batch at flameout, put half in 1 LBK as is and in the 2nd put the remaining batch with say another 2tsp of spice to see how they compare. If too strong, you did not ruin the whole batch, but if you nailed it then your next fiver will be spot on.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

For my Christmas ale, instead of keeping them in the fermenter like a dryhop, I went the route of boiling the mulling spices in my water before proceeding with my brewday (taking them out at the point I started the mash). Worked out quite nicely for me.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...