Recipe Collaboration Exchange - Winter 2015

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Recipe Collaboration Exchange - Winter 2015

Post by FrozenInTime »

The way things are going, I might have to jump in as a level 1....... what a week...
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

I'm in again, doing AG BIAB, but can go where needed. Thanks for organizing again Dave. :urock:
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

FrozenInTime wrote:The way things are going, I might have to jump in as a level 1....... what a week...
How so? Care to elaborate?
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

joechianti wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:The way things are going, I might have to jump in as a level 1....... what a week...
Got a week to listen? LOL, all is ok, just I've had a bad last couple weeks, my brewing efficiency dove south, kicking me in da boys pretty hard. I've been pretty sick, wife caught it and was sick, we both r just getting better. Yea, nuttin to do with brewing, just has me down. Then in the middle of all this, my mom, who lives in Indiana (I'm in ND) has a bad stroke. Just not very happy right now. (you asked)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Gosh, Froze, that's a harsh situation you're in. Sorry about your mum.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Sorry to hear about your mom. That's tough. I know you'll get that brewing efficiency back. I hope your mom does okay.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

sorry FiT.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

Ah, what the hell! Put me down as a level 4. I haven't done an extract brew for a long time. But I think I can still make the adjustments from AG. So, throw me in mix. :cool: :muahaha: :barman:
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

FrozenInTime wrote:
joechianti wrote:
Got a week to listen? LOL, all is ok, just I've had a bad last couple weeks, my brewing efficiency dove south, kicking me in da boys pretty hard. I've been pretty sick, wife caught it and was sick, we both r just getting better. Yea, nuttin to do with brewing, just has me down. Then in the middle of all this, my mom, who lives in Indiana (I'm in ND) has a bad stroke. Just not very happy right now. (you asked)
Sorry to hear the bad new Frozen. Keeping a special place in my prayers for you and your family.
dwaynebutcher

Post by dwaynebutcher »

Well, I am new to home brewing. I was referred to this site and RCE by a poster over at the Mr. Beer forums. If I can make my second post here a request to join, count me in. I am only a level 1.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

dwaynebutcher wrote:Well, I am new to home brewing. I was referred to this site and RCE by a poster over at the Mr. Beer forums. If I can make my second post here a request to join, count me in. I am only a level 1.
Your welcomed to join in! Since your very new, tell us what kind of brews you prefer, what you would be interested in, etc. I saw you did an into which is good, tell us in that thread your desires/wishes brew wise. Would you be interested in steeping grains, adding more hops, coming up with your own recipes or just doctoring Mr. Beer kits, etc. I also noticed you said you just started, you would do best to start real slow, jumping out of kits or designing your own real fast might not give you your desired means as brewing is a slow learning process.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

dwaynebutcher, welcome! I may bend the rules a little and customize who you're paired with, but in any case, I think you'll find the RCE a rewarding learning experience. And that's very gratifying, because that's one of the reasons I started it.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
dwaynebutcher

Post by dwaynebutcher »

FrozenInTime wrote:
dwaynebutcher wrote:Well, I am new to home brewing. I was referred to this site and RCE by a poster over at the Mr. Beer forums. If I can make my second post here a request to join, count me in. I am only a level 1.
Your welcomed to join in! Since your very new, tell us what kind of brews you prefer, what you would be interested in, etc. I saw you did an into which is good, tell us in that thread your desires/wishes brew wise. Would you be interested in steeping grains, adding more hops, coming up with your own recipes or just doctoring Mr. Beer kits, etc. I also noticed you said you just started, you would do best to start real slow, jumping out of kits or designing your own real fast might not give you your desired means as brewing is a slow learning process.

Cheers! I like all kinds of beers really. I have for years enjoyed drinking and sampling all of the various craft brews. I like drinking stouts and dark ales. I even like drinking a super cold Dos XX (or ten) on the beach. I'll drink anything. I have only brewed three batches, all still in the bottle. Two that came with the kits, the Classic Light and Aztec Cerveza, and I bought a recipe for a stout, for St. Patty's day.

At this point I do not think I can do anything other than the HME kits. I do not want to get all mad scientist as they say. At least not yet. I would like to experiment with hops and try to understand the process of adding them to the wort and to see about using LME and DME and get a feeling for what they add to the batches.

Looking forward to it!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

dwaynebutcher wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:

Cheers! I like all kinds of beers really. I have for years enjoyed drinking and sampling all of the various craft brews. I like drinking stouts and dark ales. I even like drinking a super cold Dos XX (or ten) on the beach. I'll drink anything. I have only brewed three batches, all still in the bottle. Two that came with the kits, the Classic Light and Aztec Cerveza, and I bought a recipe for a stout, for St. Patty's day.

At this point I do not think I can do anything other than the HME kits. I do not want to get all mad scientist as they say. At least not yet. I would like to experiment with hops and try to understand the process of adding them to the wort and to see about using LME and DME and get a feeling for what they add to the batches.

Looking forward to it!
This is what the RCE is for, actually. You may get paired with someone who can teach you about hop characteristics, and how to add hops, and steeping grains for added body and flavor, and stuff like that. I'm glad you don't want to go all mad scientist. I went that route, and after a couple of pretty questionable beers, I decided to take it slow, learn some things, and take it by steps. I got great coaching from the other members of the Mr. Beer community (now stalwart Borg members), and I eventually worked my way up to all-grain brewing, and formulating my own recipes. It's easier than you think, so don't be intimidated. I'm hoping you'll be paired with someone who can work with you on unhopped malt extracts, steeping grains, and hop additions. It's really pretty easy, and you'll make great beer!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
dwaynebutcher

Post by dwaynebutcher »

As it happens, I like great beer. I like bad beer too. But I really like great beer.