Das Cascadian

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Das Cascadian

Post by mashani »

Simple "Session IPA" recipe to use up the rest of the Pils I bought and I put Munich in it to give it some malt backbone for it's low OG. No crystal, the Munich is plenty.

2.5 gallon target, slightly overshot it.

100 minute BIAB mash of:

3# Belgian Pilsner
2# German Munich

Continuously hopped/hop bursted with a 2oz of cascade hops, thrown in at 1/4oz qty intervals, starting at T-35, down to T0, with a 20 minute hop stand with the lid on for the last bit (all hops in commando, so all hops stayed in for the stand too).

Nottingham, full pack, already actively fermenting at 62 degrees, will fall into the upper 50s when it slows down.

OG was 1.048
IBUs are probably pushing 50
SRM should be in the 10-12ish range
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Das Cascadian

Post by mashani »

I bottled this. Cascade is outrageous at this point. But that's ok, I'm sure it will mellow into something less insane. Certainly was no need for a traditional bittering addition, it's plenty bitter.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Das Cascadian

Post by mashani »

This is like a more sessional version of that beer I made that I called Beer Von Apollo. Except with cascade. If you like cascade then you would like this better. If you like a more complex hop profile (tobacco and dope mixed with the pine and citrus), the single hop with Apollo is better. Comes across as a malty German beer with (too much) American hops. Which is not a bad thing. The grapefruit is subdued a bit and the pine more up front then if it was just 2-row because of the munich maltyness. Its plenty bitter, did not need any traditional bittering addition. I'd like this more if it had some Simcoe or Apollo or Columbus in it to kick up the piney/earthy vibe more, but this is easy to drink. Unlike many folks Cascade isn't my favorite hop, but I got a bunch cheap so you use what ya got. I've had commercial session IPAs I've liked a lot less then this, so I'm not complaining.