Reason to be careful beer trading with people you don't know

Buy, Sell or trade all your home brew goodies here!

NOTICE: BUY, SELL AND TRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK! THE SITE MANAGEMENT AND OWNER ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR LOSS OCCURING FROM TRANSACTIONS MADE IN THESE FORUMS

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Reason to be careful beer trading with people you don't know

Post by swenocha »

I normally wouldn't post links to other message boards, but it's worth reading through this thread. If you don't want to read through, the short story is a guy refilling and recapping bottles and passing them off in trades as the real thing. As most of us know, it would be real easy for any of us to do this with equipment on hand (we do it every batch if bottling our own beers), and obviously it would be just as easy for someone with less scruples. Be careful out there, folks...
Last edited by swenocha on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Reason to be careful beer trading with people you don't

Post by Rebel_B »

Looks like a lot of effort for very little gain; kinda like making counterfeit $1 bills.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The link didn't work for me.
Rebel, yes, within limits. I mean, if you're trading reasonable beers, the shipping exceeds the cost of the contents. But there are exotic beers that cost hundreds, and rare beers for which collectors will pay or trade much. I'm not interested in such things, I can't imagine a beer worth $200. But it's out there, and there are many for whom it is a passion.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Link works for me. Weird....

He was sending fake Toppling Goliath Assassin, which is one of those single day release beers that is quite rare. It sells for $20, but only has 1200 bottles per annual batch, so you can imagine it sells for much more than that on the after-market.

Here's Toppling Goliath's response:
Hello, Friends.
Yesterday, we had the misfortune of experiencing one of the most dishonest acts that we’ve ever had to face. A certain individual had been taking our beers, refilling them with other beers, and then trading the forgeries. To prove a trust-of-trade, the individual had been citing close relations to several of our employees, including our owner. These claims are exaggerated and are definitely not the kinds of actions Toppling Goliath does, or would condone.
While we will not share the person’s identity, we do know who the perpetrator was and have taken actions to prohibit their access to our beers. No longer will they be welcome in our tap room. Should it be found that others are exercising the same dishonesty with our beers, similar actions will be taken.
On a lighter side, we are thankful for the craft beer community and their continual support for Toppling Goliath in all that we do. We enjoy making great beers, and sharing great beers. It is our hope, with your support, that we can continue along a positive path and prevent instances like we experienced yesterday.
Cheers.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks for the summary Swen. While the link didn't bring me to the story, some searching did. People are strange.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Yes, there is a dark side to pretty much every activity. Thanks for the head's up.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Here is the direct link (i.e. not passing though Facebook with errors): http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/t ... se.234718/
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

That is crazy. I mean, all you are really getting out of it is a free beer. And the doofus not only swindled by mail, but actually met some of the people he swindled. Being from a low population state like Iowa he is just asking for trouble.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

What's really funny is that by sending them through the US Mail, he a) broke rules about sending beer and b) committed mail fraud by sending counterfeit product. Federal case now.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)