Bewitched Amber - Low Carbonation

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Bassman

Bewitched Amber - Low Carbonation

Post by Bassman »

I had brewed a Bewitched Amber once before but added hops and also the fermentation was too hot. I was not happy. So this time I did the recipe straight up and used some temperature control, ket it around 68' for the active fermentation. The only thing I did was added 1/4 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient. I fermented for 3 weeks, conditioned for 4 weeks, and 1 week in the fridge. I used 1 tsp corn sugar in each 1/2 liter bottle.

Last night I tasted 2 bottes. The carbonation was very low. I mean no head low. When I opened the bottles there was a good pfft sound, but no head in the first bottle. For the second bottle I poured directly into the center of the glass. A head started but immediately disappeared. The color was more of a brown than an amber or red. Also, the beer had a string malt taste, although it was dry and I believe it fermented out. I would describe it as an extract twang. In all fairness the can of Bewitched was about a year old, but that doesn't seem too old. I'm more bothered by the low carbonation. When they were at room temperature conditioning, the PET bottles felt firm. They did not feel as firm after a week in the fridge. I put another 2 bottles in the fridge last night and those felt firm going in.

Hopefully the batch just needs more conditioning time. I hope it's not a PET seal thing but the bottles do feel going into the fridge.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Bewitched Amber - Low Carbonation

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

To improve extract beer head retention and lacing I always steeped some CaraPils or Crystal malts and added some fresh pellet hops to the boil. Corn sugar is less fermentable than pure cane sugar so you'd need to add a touch more. Since I started weighing out my priming sugar and batch priming my beers have had no problems at all with getting the carbonation levels for the each style. Anyhow that's where I'd look first.
Last edited by ScrewyBrewer on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

+1 to what Screwy said. And if the bottles are firm going in, there is no PET seal thing going on.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Sounds like you fermented and conditioned long enough. I've not used corn sugar for priming so that is a variable I'm not sure about and Screwy may be onto something there. Carapils in a steep definitely helps with head retention. To me it sounds like a PET cap seal issue. If they are more firm going in than out than perhaps the change in temp is breaking whatever seal you had when at room temp. I only used the PET bottles on the first couple batches. I use flip-top bottles and have had no issue with bad seals. You may want to pick up a bottle with a flip-top (drink the free beer in it first) and mix it in with your next batch to see if there is any difference in your carb levels compared to the PET.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

As LME ages it will get darker so that could explain the color. And yes, a straight-up extract beer will be lacking in the head department which is why many steep to get to that next level.

The bottles will lose a little firmness in the fridge compared to ambient. The colder the beer, the more CO2 will go into solution. Although it does not appear to be the problem, PET caps will go bad over time. Since I dont want to wait until I end up with flat beer to know that it is time to replace the caps, I save caps from pop bottles and replace on a regular basis just to be safe.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Thanks all. I'm glad it's probably not a PET issue. Hopefully an extra week or two of conditioning should help. I have a batch that I made which was MB American Ale plus DME, crystal and cascade. That has been in the bottle for 2 1/2 weeks, so it should be ready for the holidays. Hopefully that will have a nice carbonation and balance.
M42

Post by M42 »

I've brewed that one before and used 1 1/4 tsp. It doesn't have any head. You could have used some dextrose that give it a bigger head.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

M42 wrote:I've brewed that one before and used 1 1/4 tsp. It doesn't have any head. You could have used some dextrose that give it a bigger head.
I was trying to go straight up because I figured it was a premium HME and didn't need help. Last year I brewed one of their regular HMEs, the stout, and added 1 lb. DME and it had great head. Also, I did a Black IPA using their Diablo IPA plus DME and various malts. That was great and also had a good head. I hope the seasonal nut brown I am about to bottle has a good head!
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Maltodextrine. About 2.5 Oz per lbk. Will give nice head and lacing. Or steep carapils or crystal for it.

Monty
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Last night I tasted 2 more bottles, these were conditioned for 5 weeks and were in the fridge for a week. There was slightly more carbonation, not quite ideal for me but acceptable. I'm putting 2 more bottles in today for next weeks drinking. The extract twang taste I'm getting is there, maybe a little less. Perhaps the flavors are balancing out.

I still wouldn't consider BAA to be a particularly good beer. When I brewed a MB Irish Stout with a lb. of amber DME it was a nice beer. When I brewed my heavily doctored Black IPA using the Diablo IPA I was very happy! If I get off my fat butt I'll bottle the MB Brown Ale Seasonal and in a few weeks I'll try my doctored MB American Ale Amber.